Sugar/carbs in beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dweb

Regular.
Reaction score
First of all,please forgive my ignorance.....
I`ve been brewing for about 5 years and switched to BIAB last year and now use a Grainfather and love my beer but I`m also on a zero sugar and minimal carb diet.
My question is,if yeast consumes the sugar,how much is left in the beer when fermented?
Is there away of calculating the carb content in a pint of home brew?
Cheers.

First of all,please forgive my ignorance.....
I`ve been brewing for about 5 years and switched to BIAB last year and now use a Grainfather and love my beer but I`m also on a zero sugar and minimal carb diet.
My question is,if yeast consumes the sugar,how much is left in the beer when fermented?
Is there away of calculating the carb content in a pint of home brew?
Cheers.

Yes there is. The non-fermentable sugars remain in the beer and are detectable by using a hydrometer before bottling / kegging. The calculation is just the other way around.

So suppose your final SG reading is ~1007.

That suggests that were the sugars fermentable, your ABV would be increased by around 1%.

Since the ABV of 5L is increased by 1% by adding around 100g of sugar per 5L of wort, that would indicate that each 500ml bottle of beer would contain 10g of sugar.

I doubt that the fermentability of the sugars is of much relevance to your condition, so I would suggest that you discuss with a clinician - Doctor or Dietician, whether drinking beer is compatible with a "No Carbs" diet?

Not sure how much sugars and carbs are in beer, but from my reading up on overnight mashes, I discovered that low abv beer is produced in a similar way. You need to mash really low say at 60C and mash for a long period of time (overnight would be good) to produce a super attuable wort. Then most of the sugars will be converted into alcohol

See answer to Q4

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=30815

Latest posts

Back