Summer Brew and Swap Reviews - NZ Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 91026

Time for @Alastair70's Racing Snake.

This one is a much deeper, copper colour suggesting a decent helping of crystal malts have been used. Another fluffy white head that retains well with good lacing around the glass.

Grapefruit, pineapple and caramel in the aroma. The same carry through to the flavour, but with the caramel becoming more dominant.

Bitterness is once again quite restrained, with a medium to full body, medium carbonation and a slightly sweet finish.

I think this one leans a bit more towards an American Pale Ale due to the malt character but is still absolutely lovely.

Cheers Stu, it was very WCIPA when fresh but with floral NZ hop aromas. They’ve mellowed into a more mellow APA type drink with time. I’ve enjoyed the evolution of flavours, I’m just a little bit peeved it still hadn’t dropped clear!

Hope nobody minds but I thought I would share my recipe for the NZ Pale now. Was pretty pleased with it to say it came out my head. Don't like to copy other people's recipes as they're made for someone else's taste and not my own. 😬

It'd be great to see some others' recipes who have more experience than me to see how they compare.

Attachments

• NZ Pale.pdf
    863.4 KB · Views: 0
Hope nobody minds but I thought I would share my recipe for the NZ Pale now. Was pretty pleased with it to say it came out my head. Don't like to copy other people's recipes as they're made for someone else's taste and not my own. 😬

It'd be great to see some others' recipes who have more experience than me to see how they compare.
Thanks for sharing your recipe. Love it that you used Golden Promise....a grain I've only used once on my TT clone, and keep meaning to use again. Just waiting for my local supplier to do a discount on a sack! You had a couple of hops I hadn't heard of before, as well as an unknown yeast to me. 👍

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Love it that you used Golden Promise....a grain I've only used once on my TT clone, and keep meaning to use again. Just waiting for my local supplier to do a discount on a sack! You had a couple of hops I hadn't heard of before, as well as an unknown yeast to me. 👍

You're very welcome.

The yeast is one I always use for hoppy beers as it has an enzyme as well to help bring out the hoppy flavours and aromas. Works super well. Also golden promise is a must for hoppy beers (for my taste anyway).

Nectaron is absolutely amazing and the aroma and flavour is really pungent. I prefer it mostly cold side - I hate it in the boil though as you end up with beer that tastes of rosemary or thyme 😂

IMG20231028195415.jpg

The last beer of the swap for me is @SMP Brewery's pale ale.

Copper coloured with good clarity and a small white head that retains well.

Aroma is tropical fruits and citrus. The same notes carry through to the flavour with some caramel sweetness and a moderate level of bitterness punching through.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation make for a very drinkable beer.

A lovely beer, thanks for sharing and apologies for taking so long to review it!

I’m quite surprised about this as it for me was well past its sell by date, the keg was long finished 😀 Glad you enjoyed it, I’ll definitely be making tweaks next time.

This was my recipe.

Attachments

• f_Z3N9keXAycdcCNxvczAA1iFux6D2_Brewfather_Batch26_20231103.pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back