Collaborative Brew Schedule - 2024

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been on my ‘to brew’ list for a long time too, I was excited when it came out on top in the poll.

Just starting my planning/research for the Biere de Garde and admit to being confused. Its an artisan farmhouse ale yet the recipes I've seen have a complex grist with things like aromatic malt and Munich I and multiple hops. Admittedly, now I look back, I've got Munich I in my saison recipe, but that's it and a single hop.

Is it a case of pushing the recipe to make a much better BdG by adding 'modern' ingredients ? I know we wouldn't go back to pre-thermometer days but I think I'd like to make something closer to the original. Is there somewhere I should look ?

(Not a question specifically for you Alastair, just replying to a relevant post :D )

I don’t think the timing of these brews will work for me until later in the year.

I’ve only had Proper Black once and wasn’t keen, maybe will try again any other suggestions for black IPA welcome.

ABA sounds to me like it will be like export India Porter? That brew is coming soon for me so will see how that goes.

The simplest recipes have a very long boil (4 hours). More modern recipes use specialty malts to get some of the flavours and colour derived from that long boil.

Did some more googling so getting a bit of background. Found one recipe that suggested a wide range of yeasts from 34/70 lager to saison which at first I was failing to understand but apparently the geographic origin is very similar to saison so sort of understandable.

From what I can see Jenlain BdG popularised the style and while the brewery still exists I can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK. BeerAndBrewing.com says the modern version is Jenlain Amber which uses pilsner, munich and 'colour malts' and three kinds of hops from the Alsace region. I thought there was only one hop from Alsace, shows what I know :roll:.

So its sort of a strong, amber lager maybe. Actually sounds nice.

Got mine on today too, an 80 shilling.

Started my 80 bob on Wednesday and its just about ready to bottle. The fastest ferment I've ever had. The graph below is the wort temp which shows active fermentation, the duration is 20 hours. I've already given it a D-rest. Measured its SG earlier - 1.013. Tastes nice too. I'll give it a couple more days and check the SG again.

80bob.jpg

Started my 80 bob on Wednesday and its just about ready to bottle. The fastest ferment I've ever had. The graph below is the wort temp which shows active fermentation, the duration is 20 hours. I've already given it a D-rest. Measured its SG earlier - 1.013. Tastes nice too. I'll give it a couple more days and check the SG again.

View attachment 95424

Nice one, what was your OG?

Just bottled my Heavy....came out at 3.7%. Quite a bland tasting beer at the moment. Hopefully will improve greatly once conditioned. Feel like I'm ahead of schedule....need to plan my Biere de Garde now for brewing next week. And then think about the May swap one. 👍

Nice one, what was your OG?

Sorry, missed this post. It was 1.041, it did finish at 1.013. Bottled it Wednesday, gave the PET tester bottles a squeeze yesterday morning and two of them were rock hard, two days to carbonate ashock1. They must have been the first two I filled which will have had a bit of sediment in. Got to say, though, Mangrove Jacks Empire Ale doesn't mess about.

Footnote to this story is I've found a really good time saving device on bottling day - the youngest daughter. She arrived just after I'd filled the bottles. I got her to sort them into height order (the bench capper isn't one of the ones that self adjusts for bottle height) and place all the caps on while I did something else. Then she passed me them one by one while I capped them. Super speedy :D.

I was looking for some to do a side by side. I'll have to go by memory now...and my memory is fooked.

It’s almost time for the Scottish 80/-‘s to shine.
Mine was slow to ferment so I only kegged yesterday. It’s getting a quick carb so should be good to go for the weekend 🤞

Review thread will open end of next week, so hands up if you’ve got one to swap.

I've just opened 2 bottles of my Scottish...not the greatest of beers so I'll skip this one. Not sure if it's just the style, my grain choice, or something else but I wouldn't want to force this on anyone😂. My Biere de Guard is nearly ready for bottling, hopefully this will be better. 🤞

I've jumped the gun on a couple of these. Already drinking the Cali common and the American brown is in the FV. Just couldn't help myself. Took a notion for both and ran with it.

Latest posts

Back