Sunday Morning Music

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning.
It has become a bit of a ritual over the Lockdown period to sit, with several cups of tea, on a Sunday morning and listen to some music.
I have a pretty eclectic taste and was wondering what everyone is listening to at the moment?
I thought I would make a habit of picking one album, from my most listened to genres and share them with you. (If any one is interested?)

Jazz- listening to a lot of jazz at the moment whilst cooking and drinking the old home brew. My top artist at the moment is Tord Gustavsen. He is an incredible Jazz pianist. My album of choice is The Well. This features Tord with his Quartet and is certainly worth a listen.

Classical- Thomas Dunford. Perfect for a mellow Sunday morning. The album - The Mad Lover, features Thomas on Lute and a relatively unknown Violinist, Theotime Langlois de Swarte. Don’t let the pretentious name put you off. This is a beautiful album.

Rock/Metal- Brand new album from the highly acclaimed Evanescence. The Bitter Truth. Maybe not everyone’s thing but it’s undeniable that Amy Lee has an incredible voice. Personally always been a fan.

Folk/World - finally a genre that sits at the back of the pub and feels uncomfortable with itself. Probably because it’s most often associated with colourful trousers, bells and the irritating sound of the Accordion. However this genre has seen a few renaissance’s over the years and some of the bands are well worth a listen.
So I bring you, Wardruna. A trad Norse group, playing trad instruments of the Viking Age. Indeed, many of the lyrics come from translations of Skaldic poetry of the same era. If you have watched the tv show, Vikings, then you will already be familiar with this band. There music makes up 50 percent of the soundtrack. My album of choice is Kvitravn.

Happy listening.
If you have any recommendations then please. I am always looking for new music to enjoy.
🍻

Last edited:
Hi FA

I am an audiophile and have built my own computer (an Intel NUC) with a specific operating system (Roon) - I have over 55,000 tracks in my library - mainly classical

I will try some of your suggestions but do you know any of these - all worth a listen

1616931801404.png

She is a wonderful cello player and Kol Nidrei is particularly beautiful

Do you have any Jackson Browne? - very thought-provoking lyrics

1616932124867.png

Not to everyone's tastes but Vaughan Williams songs have been amongst my favourites for a long time
1616932035212.png

I could pontificate on this matter for a lot longer but need to go and do my ferret juggling practice

Hi FA

I am an audiophile and have built my own computer (an Intel NUC) with a specific operating system (Roon) - I have over 55,000 tracks in my library - mainly classical

I will try some of your suggestions but do you know any of these - all worth a listen

View attachment 44067

She is a wonderful cello player and Kol Nidrei is particularly beautiful

Do you have any Jackson Browne? - very thought-provoking lyrics

View attachment 44070

Not to everyone's tastes but Vaughan Williams songs have been amongst my favourites for a long time
View attachment 44069

I could pontificate on this matter for a lot longer but need to go and do my ferret juggling practice

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I shall give those a good listen too.
Your computer set up sounds great.
I too would consider myself an audiophile. Though not to the extent of some. I am certainly pushing my sound system to its max, on the budget that I have.
I have recently upgraded my speaker cable to AudioQuest Rocket 11 and couldn’t be happier. wow this cable makes such a difference.
As a further recommendation to yourself. I would suggest this album. Elegy of the uprooting. (Image at the bottom) A beautiful collection of work by Eleni Karaindrou, with a great selection of contributing musicians.
BD0B37B5-0ED6-4741-BD2D-42C0FC82D9A8.png

Last edited:
I listen to plenty of old and not new but more recent stuff of various types. I now also listen to the new radio station Boom Radio born from baby boomer period which does not play the same track twice in the same day so always something different on. I usually put this on in a morning until SWMBO rises then the dreaded googlebox goes onasad1

I listen to plenty of old and not new but more recent stuff of various types. I now also listen to the new radio station Boom Radio born from baby boomer period which does not play the same track twice in the same day so always something different on. I usually put this on in a morning until SWMBO rises then the dreaded googlebox goes onasad1
🤣 sad times indeed.
I have to say. My radio station of choice tends to be Planet Rock or Linn Classical. I have not come across Boom Radio.

My music tastes are usually on the rockier end (American punk, classic hard rock, psych rock) but because I’ve been working from home I’ve also been listening to a lot of Americana, alt-country and folk.

My recent favourites are:
Frank Turner - Sleep is for the Week. I’ve become a massive Frank Turner fan over lockdown. He’s an indie-folk/folk-punk singer songwriter from Hampshire and was lead singer of punk/post-hardcore band Million Dead in the early 00s. I still think his first full length is his best - great storytelling and social conscience stuff, like a 21st century Billy Bragg.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard- Nonagon Infinity. My favourite album of the 2010s by a mile, actually approaching my favourite album of all time. It’s a prog-influenced Psych-rock concept album, where each song has been written so the outro of one song blends into the intro of the next. Genius

Grade 2 - Graveyard Island. Modernised “Oi! Punk” from the Isle of Wight, but also with influences from some of the poppier bands of the 80s like The Jam etc. If it wasn’t for lockdown I reckon these guys would be the next big band in the punk scene (album was produced by Rancid’s Tim Armstrong and he’s been doing T-shirt and art collaborations with them)

Jeremy Pinell - Ties of Blood and Affection. Stripped down bad ass country/blues

Austin Lucas - Alive in the Hot Zone. Alt-Country/country-rock, songwriting is very good

Last edited:
Jeremy Pinell - Ties of Blood and Affection. Stripped down bad ass country/blues
Hell yes.
This guy is a legend.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard- Nonagon Infinity. My favourite album of the 2010s by a mile, actually approaching my favourite album of all time. It’s a prog-influenced Psych-rock concept album, where each song has been written so the outro of one song blends into the intro of the next. Genius

Totally agree. This is a fantastic album.

I’ve been painting all morning, so selected my playlist from the iPad. It’s been ages since I listened to it and I’d forgotten how much I like it - love every track.

Too many to list, but it includes The National, Frank Turner, Fleet Foxes, Lord Huron, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Elbow, Elliott Smith, Talk Talk, Bobby Womack, Frank Sinatra, Amy Winehouse, The Cure, Nick Drake, Flaming Lips, The Lilac Time, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Roses and Joni Mitchell.

Great, and productive, morning. Now for a walk, then the football and a beer. Perfect Sunday!

Alas no I just have the Muso all in one phenomenal piece of equipment. Hifi wise I'm still running Quad 303/33 can't get enough of the Naim though.
Very noice.
I could only dare to dream of a Naim Audio system 🤣. Way out of my price range. That listening pleasure comes when I go and visit my parents. They have a full Naim set up. It’s absolutely incredible.
Not to do a disservice to my own lovely set up. A Denon AVR-X2600H powers a pair of Monitor Audio speakers for music and as I love cinema too, the Denon makes smooth work of powering a Dolby Atmos set up.
The Naim experience is very addictive though .

I’ve been painting all morning, so selected my playlist from the iPad. It’s been ages since I listened to it and I’d forgotten how much I like it - love every track.

Too many to list, but it includes The National, Frank Turner, Fleet Foxes, Lord Huron, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Elbow, Elliott Smith, Talk Talk, Bobby Womack, Frank Sinatra, Amy Winehouse, The Cure, Nick Drake, Flaming Lips, The Lilac Time, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Roses and Joni Mitchell.

Great, and productive, morning. Now for a walk, then the football and a beer. Perfect Sunday!

Some goodens in that.
Particularly Smashing Pumpkins, Elbow and of course Queens of the stone age.

Only fairly recently got into QOTSA, but I’m loving the ...Like Clockwork album - it’s so good!
I agree, a great album.
I remember when I first heard them. They played on Top Of The Pops🤣. I think Lullabies To Paralyse is my favourite album of there’s though.
I would recommend Greenleaf to you. They are great and with a new album out there is no better time to get into them.
5AFF5311-C241-4EF6-B546-AB0ABD505B99.png

I agree, a great album.
I remember when I first heard them. They played on Top Of The Pops🤣. I think Lullabies To Paralyse is my favourite album of there’s though.
I would recommend Greenleaf to you. They are great and with a new album out there is no better time to get into them.
View attachment 44093

Great - thank you! I love getting new music recommendations so will definitely check Greenleaf out.

I love it when these music threads come out. It's an opportunity to search further than the same old favourites to hear stuff I've never heard of before. I had no Idea Amy Lee was back in business. Evanescence first album was great, the second not as great and End of September, without Lee was a breath of fresh air. I'm looking forward to giving The Bitter Truth a blast. Thank you @Fireside Ales Homebrewery .

Back