Sweet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthy79

Reaction score
I have recently done my first ever malt kit from wilko . I have done first fermentation then started the second one , I have added the sugar and bottled it up as I was interested I had a taste and it tasted very sweet . Question is will the sweetness dissipate in 14 days ? Or have I done something wrong , I added slightly less sugar than advised by the instructions.

I would have left it longer in primary fermentation until it tastes like 'flat beer'
Or you could use a hydrometer to measure density of the beer )if you have one)

You say its very sweet & if we guess there is a lot of sugar in it, you run the risk of exploding bottles.

Lets see what others say, but I would be tempted to re-sterilise your fermenting bucket & pour it all back in for another week, or risk a shed full of sticky liquid & glass (if you used glass bottles)

I would have left it longer in primary fermentation until it tastes like 'flat beer'
Or you could use a hydrometer to measure density of the beer )if you have one)

You say its very sweet & if we guess there is a lot of sugar in it, you run the risk of exploding bottles.

Lets see what others say, but I would be tempted to re-sterilise your fermenting bucket & pour it all back in for another week, or risk a shed full of sticky liquid & glass (if you used glass bottles)
I did leave it for 10 days to the advised 6 ?

Just to be clear guys sorry . I did the first fermentation at 10 days as opposed to six stated in the instructions , I then poured off into a another container with a airlock And bung , I added the sugar when putting into the second container as instruction states and bottled after the two days

I don’t know this is my first try
The importance of taking an SG reading before you bottle your beer is that you are checking that it is safe to bottle. That SG reading should be in a small predicted range that indicates the fermentation has finished. For most kits this is 1.008 to 1.012. Irrespective of how long your beer has been fermenting if there are still unfermented sugars available (giving a higher SG reading that in the expected range) there is a concern that those sugars on top of the priming sugar will over-carbonate your beer.
Otherwise I suggest you read this.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/

Hi, did you taste the beer before you added the sugar at the second stage (after the 10 days?) or after as the beer will taste sweet if you tried it after adding it to the bottling FV.

How long was it between adding sugar, bottling, and then tasting. There is really nothing to be gained from tasting it too early. It'll simply mean you have one beer less when it starts to condition nicely.
Also, I only ever bottle straight after priming, rather than leaving it two days. Is that what the instructions say to do?

Two key things really, one of which has already been said: it's worth investing in a hydrometer so you can take gravity readings. Also, patience will get you far.

Two days between adding sugar and bottling . Thanks for your help and advice .
when bottling as well if using glass bottles, reuse a suitably cleaned old FIZZY drinks bottle. it will go rock hard when kept in the warm around 20c or so and has carbonated properly. Then move your beers to a cooler place but you should always take a starter reading (Original Gravity) and a pre-bottling reading (Finishing Gravity/Specific gravity)

wilcos state: Step 5 Wait for fermentation to finish. You’ll know when this is by when the bubbles stop rising (or when gravity remains constant below 1008° if you have a hydrometer).

you usually shouldn't bottle until your beer is around 1.010 - this is a very general rule. Some beers go as low at 1.001 and some stay as high as 1.025 again these are general low and high values. It depends on the recipe and the yeast used. My beers have finished at 1.004 - 1019. My 1004 was a saison and my 1019 was a Quad.

Latest posts

Back