Talk to an idiot about Lagering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used KwiK Clear finings many times in the past to clear wine and it's the best I've used, (24 to 48 hours to clear very cloudy wine) it says beer and wine finings on the box so may be worth a try if you are in a rush.

I have used KwiK Clear finings many times in the past to clear wine and it's the best I've used, (24 to 48 hours to clear very cloudy wine) it says beer and wine finings on the box so may be worth a try if you are in a rush.
Kwik clear is the one I use in my kegged beer and I swear by it. Part A goes in first, beer on top then part B towards the end of the fill so it gets a bit of time to swirl around. Super stuff!

I brewed a batch on the 24th of July which was the night I scalded my wrist and I can't remember the ingredients but do know I don't use protofloc or Irish Moss in my beers.Cooled in the fermentation fridge to 12° and pitched Lallemand Diamond lager yeast and after two weeks slowly raised the temp up to 18° over a few days then cold crashed to 2° before transferring to a corny keg where it force carbed at 15 psi for two weeks.
Last night I had a few pints from it and no finings as I don't use them and was very pleased with the results.
This is the same beer with two different lighting backgrounds.

It looks really tasty but it's not bright. I'm not overly fussed about bright beer for most styles tbh, but fining really does make for a prettier and more desirable appearance a for a few styles.

After using finings how long will it be before you drink the wine?

If g
It looks really tasty but it's not bright. I'm not overly fussed about bright beer for most styles tbh, but fining really does make for a prettier and more desirable appearance a for a few styles.
It really is nice and I'm not a lager drinker but bear in mind if I was to leave it longer it will clear and tbh clarity ain't going to affect the taste of the beer.

Kwik clear is the one I use in my kegged beer and I swear by it. Part A goes in first, beer on top then part B towards the end of the fill so it gets a bit of time to swirl around. Super stuff!

Have fancied giving it a go but put off by my beer brite experience. Saw this: https://www.home-brew-online.com/ingredients-c45/white-labs-clarity-ferm-10ml-vial-p3130 and thought I'd give it a go at somepoint as I've had chill haze with everything I touch

After using finings how long will it be before you drink the wine?

Apologies to the OP for taking this way off topic.

If you mean once the fining has done its thing and its bottled - depending on stock levels we have been known to drink it as soon as its bottled and cooled in the fridge.

Last edited:
Apologies to the OP for taking this way off topic. …
Ah, but it's not way off topic! A reason for not needing months on end for lagering at very low temperatures is the plethora of fining regimes available. So getting the fining right is a very important part of modern lagering. Reducing the time is one benefit, increasing the lagering temperature to get more effective flavour enhancement is another (to 5-7C, that needs to be clear, i.e. not warm).

I'm just spouting from that GF article I posted earlier. If the author of that is shown to be writing rubbish, I sink to the bottom with him. But the article appears far too well considered to be garbage (but I doubt it is very well thought of in some of America - they do have some weird ideas over there).

Apologies to the OP for taking this way off topic.

Ah, but it's not way off topic! A reason for not needing months on end for lagering at very low temperatures is the plethora of fining regimes available. So getting the fining right is a very important part of modern lagering

No apologies needed, as stated in title I have NO IDEA about largering and my adventures in finings have been 'meh' to 'oh ********!' so any and all Info is welcome to help build my knowledge base. As a noob looking to go on from can kits ALL of you guys input is greatly appreciated.
(but I doubt it is very well thought of in some of America - they do have some weird ideas over there).
Having watched the USA pilot of Red Dwarf last night on YouTube I am in utter agreement with you!!

Having watched the USA pilot of Red Dwarf last night on YouTube I am in utter agreement with you!!
What!!! ashock1

Now that's got to go off subject. Are you saying they've they have taken a classic factual BBC documentary and turned into something garbage. Geesh!

What!!! ashock1

Now that's got to go off subject. Are you saying they've they have taken a classic factual BBC documentary and turned into something garbage. Geesh!

Totally off subject but I was the OP so...

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! ! !

Nope. Other one I get is my teeth falling out like crushed polo mints. I think I need help!!
Would you use the same or more for 20ltr?

I do 20l batches (or thereabouts) and have had great results with 180-200ml with a tsp of gelatine.

Would you use the same or more for 20ltr?
I would suggest scaling it up by a third for your larger batch but I don't think it needs to be too accurate. When reading around various articles and posts there is a huge variation in the amount used and dilution rates.

Just looked back at my notes and for the first batch I used gelatine in I used 1tsp for 15ltrs and found that there was a slimy residue at the bottom of the bottles which took a long time to settle. So I reduced the amount to 1/2tsp and I have stuck with that since with no problem.

Back