tannin and yeast questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, all the recipes in a book i have (it is very old!!) say add so many drops of tannin, the tannin i have is in powder form, would anyone have a suggestion as to how much would need to be added to beetroot wine.. the book says 24drops

5lb beetroot
8 pints water
2.5 lb sugar.

also, the yeast i have is youngs ubrew all purpose red.
could someone suggest how much i might need?? the book says one rounded teaspoon of yeast and nutrient and (this is a stupid question... do i need seperate nutrient??) :oops:

Hi CapnCrackoff,

Most dried yeast comes with a little nutrient to get it woken up, though with something like beetroot which isn't traditionally a regular at yeast banquets, you'll want something extra. Don't worry; you have a yeast nutrient in your kitchen (probably)!

For 1 gallon, add 1/4 teaspoon of powdered tannin (e.g. the Young's stuff). It's.. stern.

That yeast sounds fine; stick in a rounded teaspoon. To give the yeasties something to munch on, your helpful household ingredient is... (drumroll) marmite! mmmm. Vegemite's probably fine too. Dissolve between half and a whole teaspoon in warm water, and get that in there. It'll add a little extra sulphur dioxide and a few other things (preservatives) but don't worry, your wine won't taste anything like my mate marmite.

Good luck!

Excellent thanks for that!!

One other thing, the book i have says that the initial fermentation should be done in a plastic bucket, but i was going to do all the fermenting in demijohns, i just thought that would be easier.
i was going to.....

boil beetroot very gently
strain into bucket
when cool add pectolase
add sugar

transfer to demijohn
check sugar level and adjust if needed
add tannin
yeast (and the marmite!! lol)

fit bubbler.

just the book says you shouldnt transfer to DJ until after initial fermentation (it does say this for every recipe)

jon

Which book have you got?

Some people prefer to do primary in a bucket for two reasons as far as I can see; a lot of gas and bubble is produced, so much so that the airlock wouldn't cope if you topped up properly - and that decomposing vegetable tissue brings off-flavours to the brew. If you have a workaround for the first, you can simply move to another demijohn after the first 7-10 days.

I often do my primaries in thoroughly scrubbed buckets from Wickes (65p for about a 9 litre bucket) covered with clingfilm. Many people on this forum just work entirely in the demijohn without ill effects, though, so I don't have a really solid answer for you!

If you are working with a pure juice must then you can work completely in a demijohn . . . if you are working with a pulp though buckets are better

Its called 'the best wine recipes' it is from the 70's so not sure if modern techniques may have out dated any of the info.

i did consider starting off with normal household buckets, you say you entirely cover them with clingfilm, this might be a stupid question but will the pressure not build up and pop the cling film? :?

The CO2 keeps the bugs out . . . the Cling film just stops big stuff falling in . . . and you don't need a gas tight seal

CptnCrackoff.....I make beetroot and it can be a bit bland unless you add something else.

Just a suggestion but a tin of grape concentrate or 8oz of chopped raisins will help as will boiling with a few whole cloves or some bruised ginger.

wurzel said:
Just a suggestion but a tin of grape concentrate or 8oz of chopped raisins will help as will boiling with a few whole cloves or some bruised ginger.

Genius tip, I like it!

preservatives can kill your yeasties
and always use food grade plastic

Latest posts

Back