Taste test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broomie14

Reaction score
So i started my brew on Sunday and just did a gravity test it ended up on about 1.022 so before i tipped the sample i decided to have a taste and it left a quite a bitter after taste is this normal ? If so how long should it stay like that or will the hops kill the bitterness just for info its the newzeland pilsner festival kit.

It's very early to be taking samples. As long as I can see that the fermentation has started (e.g. activity in the airlock), I don't open the fermenter until day 12 or 13. You need to give the yeast time to do its stuff - you'll get a much better beer if you're patient.

I wouldn't worry about the taste at this stage. As long as you made the kit up to the volume recommended it should be good. I've always been impressed with Festival kits. The dry hops will add more flavour and aroma which will balance the bittering hops you can taste at the moment, but both will mellow once it's been bottled for a few weeks.

It's very early to be taking samples. As long as I can see that the fermentation has started (e.g. activity in the airlock), I don't open the fermenter until day 12 or 13. You need to give the yeast time to do its stuff - you'll get a much better beer if you're patient.

I wouldn't worry about the taste at this stage. As long as you made the kit up to the volume recommended it should be good. I've always been impressed with Festival kits. The dry hops will add more flavour and aroma which will balance the bittering hops you can taste at the moment, but both will mellow once it's been bottled for a few weeks.
Cheers mate i used the tap to sample it because the airlock wasn't bubbling away just wanted to make sure it was fermenting thats all

Back