The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ones in the UK? I'd guess a combination of not wanting to give false hope to people who happen to have other conditions and medical privacy. Would you like to have the 10 o'clock news broadcasting that Leon died of Covid19 today, made worse by the fact that he had the clap and was a smackhead?

But looking around at other countries, vascular problems seem to be the biggest risk factor, particularly high blood pressure but also heart disease, a history of strokes, things like that.
Sorry to hear it @Leon103.

Breaking news and the last thing pub landlords/ladies need.

Coronavirus: PM says everyone should avoid non-essential travel

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said "everyone" in the UK should now avoid "non-essential" travel and contact with others and to fight coronavirus.

He said people should work from home and avoid pubs, club, theatres where possible, as part of a range of stringent new measures.

In the first of a series of new daily briefings, Mr Johnson also said elderly and vulnerable people would have to begin self-isolating for "around 12 weeks" in "a few days time".

When will products be back on the shelves?

"Whilst there might be empty shelves at the moment in the shops, over the next week or so, we will see them replenish," Andrew Potter, from Cardiff Business School, told the BBC.

"The supply chain will start to deliver stuff through to the stores and hopefully this shortage - which is fairly short term - will clear and everything will be back to normal again."

Jan Godsell, from the University of Warwick, also said that the initial spike in demand is likely to be short-lived.

She said people bought items like toilet paper and pasta to stockpile but then were likely to stop buying.

She said the "unknown" factor was labour, questioning what would happen if 20% of the workforce was taken ill, a situation the government has factored into its plans.

"Then we might need to make some decisions about where in our supply chain we use those [people]," she said.

The Competition and Markets Authority watchdog has warned retailers not to "exploit" fears about coronavirus by dramatically increasing the price of protective goods like hand gels and face masks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51737030

People bragging about what they have bought sod everyone else. aheadbutt
I hope they have a power cut and are not insured for freezer contents.

PRI_146577307.jpg

PRC_146600040.jpg
Lol what the **** is wrong with people? I'm now in self isolation as of Saturday and neither my wife nor I have even been shopping. The human race really is retarded.

I can't imagine, we have a fairly well stocked apocalypse cupboard in case of zombie Armageddon but you need to top up with fresh.

Haven't panic bought but haven't been able to get staples with the regular weekly shop.

What are you expected to do in self isolation when the cupboard is bare?

I hope the government thinks of a way to support businesses so that we don't face an unemployment crisis in a few months. Is this the time to have a radical review of taxes?
I mean short-term tax relief. Or the introduction of a small wage for everyone.

asda
try booking one!
in my area it's almost 14 days waiting list

Not sure you can even rely on delivery services - as one datapoint, I've heard Ocado aren't taking on new customers and currently there's a week's wait for a delivery slot.
I'll consider myself lucky then. Living in Bristol, a fair sized city, it was still only a 2 day wait for time slot. Only thing I'm worried about is the substitutes. Even at the best of times they're questionable.

So, that's my trip to Scotland to see the oldies cancelled, and also my stag do postponed until this all settles down. Working from home already, if they stop me from running / cycling I think I might go crazy with cabin fever! Still, good time to get some brewing done.

First time I've heard what is meant by people with underlying health conditions means - apparently anyone who gets an annual flu jab. So that's me and the Mrs.

The problem is they will still be short of essentials if the panic buying doesn't stop so you are going to find a lot of essential items missing.
Not necessarily true as the delivery section of the shops is separate to that of the main store stock. So fingers crossed.

Not necessarily true as the delivery section of the shops is separate to that of the main store stock. So fingers crossed.

Not true in Tesco where my son works part time, he also asked if staff could get items that are being panic bought before they went on the shelves and was told no.

Not true in Tesco where my son works part time, he also asked if staff could get items that are being panic bought before they went on the shelves and was told no.

Potentially short-sighted - at least it would make sense to allow staff to buy a quota of cleaning materials to help them reduce the odds of getting ill themselves.

Definitely a harsh case, people who I know who work in retail have been granted access to certain items prior to be shelved.

Latest posts

Back