The dark side

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have fallen to the dark side and ordered my self a mash tun :D and for my first AG brew i'm going to do a IPA lager highbrid, but i need an idea of quantity of grain hops etc. So i was hoping that i could gather a few different recipes for IPAs and lagers from the forums collective mind, then mix and match the ingredients step mashes so on and so forth. Also any other info you can think of that might help would be great as i only know the basic processes.
:cheers:

This is just my opinion but for your first AG, I'd recommend something nice and simple. Doing stepped mashes etc. can wait for a later day when you are more comfortable with the whole process. The equipment will be new to you. The process will be new to you. I'd try to keep it as simple as possible. Once you have everything dialed in, you can start to be more aggressive and branch out.

With that said, do what you feel comfortable doing. I would recommend getting something like Beersmith with which to design your recipes. Once you know your efficiency, you can work out how much grain you need to achieve your desired OG.

Baz

Yup have to agree with Baz there, keep it as straightforward as possible, something you like for your first brews, get the hang of it before you move onto more fiddly recipes :thumb:

Most of all make sure you've got an idiot sheet when you do brew (I still have one to hand just to check, it's incredibly easy to overlook something :roll: ) but most of all, enjoy it :cheers:

Yep keep it basic, don't worry to much about the finer details, that will come in time. Whatever happens the chances are you will make a better beer than you have made before. Most important enjoy yourself. It is like losing your virginity, if all goes well and their are no spillages you will be walking round with a big grin for days. :thumb:

+1 to keeping it simple.Maybe just a single hop single malt with same lager malt & some saaz.5kg of malt would be more than enough & 100g of hops might be a good place to start for a simple lager.Better minds than mine could suggest a hop schedule.Get a bit more complicated when you have had a few tries with your kit.
Welcome to the dark side-may the 4th be with you :thumb:

I would keep it simple. Also I would go with a recipe which is tried and tested so that you are not disappointed with the results. Grahame wheelers book is a good start though it doesn't have any lager recipes it does have some decent pale ales. When I started I managed a few really good bitters but then decided to go freestyle of a pale ale. I was never happy with the recipe so I have gone back to a clone admitedly I have made a few adjustments but basically it is a clone recipe.

You want something that doesn't have loads of hop additions on your first brew day you will have enough going through you head with out having to remember a hop addition every five minutes. :lol: :lol:

Good luck

I did a bouncing squirrel for my first AG.

It's in the recipe section here, couple of grains and a couple of hops so nice and simple.

No need to overcomplicate things as you're popping your cherry :-)

Good luck!!!

thanks for the adivce guys :cheers: i think i'll save the highbrid for a later brew have a look for a nice easy ale recipe. any suggestions?

jonnymorris said:
Mind me asking which MT you went for?
its a 24L polystyrene insulated jobby i'll get a pic up when it comes in the mail

The Fullers London Pride out of the Grahame wheller book is excellent. :hmm: :thumb: :thumb: Theres probably a few recipies on here if you search

Latest posts

Back