The real headwetta in 2 parts...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got an overnight mash on. The aim of this brew is to end up with one golden ish beer and one dark beer. I am aiming to get 38L from the main mash/boil. To get the dark beer I am adding a steeped mixture of 200g of crystal and 30g of chocolate to one fermenter.

8kg of maris otter
600g of oats
500g of wheat malt.
All in about 27L of water (was about 75degrees)

Its settled at about 66 degrees.
Before adding the oats I put them in a pan with 4L of water and 250g of MO. I heated the pan to 38degrees and left it for 20mintues. Then heated it slowly to mash temp before adding it.

Will resume tomorrow with pics and stuff

The first runnings are pritty much run, and the sparge water is up to temp.

I have a pan of first runnings boiling, and another pan with 200g of dark crystal and 30g of chocolate heating slowly on the stove.
Pic to follow

Into the main body of the wort I have put in 7g of cascasde and citra hop pellets and 20g of NZ pacific Gem.
This is now heating on the stove.
In the small pot of First runnings I have put 4g of cascade hop pellets.

The small pan of first runnings has finished boiling. The main boiler is boiling and the steeped grains are boiling away as well.
My main boiler seems a bit emtpty.....

The fermenters are saoking in sanitizer.

Time for some toast I think!

I feel your pain with regard to needing a bigger stove. An overnight mash saves me time on brewday. Far less waiting around. Hoping to brew Tuesday/Wednesday.

I just pitched my yeast. Gervin v12 in the dark ale and safale us05 in the pale.

Looks like they are going to be belters for celebrating with.
The pale is looking like 22L of 6.7
The dark is 15L of 5.9.

Just setting up the 'water bath' for the fermenters then a quick wipe down before work.

Two beers. You know it makes sense. :drunk:
Hell yea!

I normally just use different hops to dry hop or add hop tea. So when the idea came to me to use drak grain to give what appeared to be a totally different beer instead of a marginally different beer it was a no brainer!

And it should appeal to most of my work mates who like dark ales!

Back