This or that yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean1967

Reaction score
Hi , it appears that many brewers change yeast regularly for this or that beer . I overbuild a starter putting 1/2 Litre in the fridge and 1Litre in whatever I'm brewing . Seems to work well , I'll do 8 brews then buy a new yeast . Should I change yeast more often ?

If it ain't broke.....

Depends upon what you are aiming to achieve I spose, are you happy with your beers or do you want to expand your horizons?

You have opened a can of worms with that question as there are some serious yeast heads on this forum. As regards using yeast you should really use a yeast of the type of beer you are trying to brew to get it near to type but that does not mean your beer will be not good just that it may taste different to how that type should. There is also a ongoing debate as to how many times you can use the same yeast in a beer that is if you are infact using the same yeast that you brewed your last beer with or are you just making a large starter and keeping the same yeast in batches for the next brews?
Yeast can be one of the biggest contributers to the actual taste of a beer and not just hops however if you are happy with your beers just do it but as I have said it will not be to exact type

Is it possible to build up a variety of yeasts and keep them for different styles ? I understood that it wasn't possible to keep them healthy for the months that would be required. I'm looking to improve , that's why I'm on here and any advice would be appreciated.

I am not a yeast expert but hopefully one of the experts will pop up and give some advice on propagation and the best way to store them long term, just sit tight and I am sure you will get a reply from them

Latest posts

Back