This'll be my 2nd year: Still a novice & we're talking Perry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrandedinCanada

Reaction score
Evening everyone...

Well, to start off - a big old fashioned 'thanks' for all the peeps that spoke out to help me get through my very first batch of cider making last September. As the nickname suggests, I took on board my Britishness and braved matters to produce some home made cider here in Canada. For a first attempt I was pleasantly surprised --- it wasn't half bad but now, after further research, I'm learning that it could have been much better because the batch was 100% sweet apples... :(

I'm giving it a go this year having sourced a bushel of Trameltts and a bushel of Yarlington Mill's a few hours away - so more to come on the cider-front later this year when they're in season... ;)

OK, now on to PERRY making... :D

So I was scouring the Internet, looking for Apple orchards locally, when I found a farm that had a weekend sale on Bartlett (Williams) Pears. I know, before you say it, not the most ideal variety of pear (again, like the apples last year) - but they were reasonably priced and so I'm giving it a whirl.

JUST LIKE LAST YEAR: I'm appealing to everyone and anyone for help, advice and guidance.

Where are we at? The plan is to make about 6.5 UK Gallons of perry... (So needless to say I have a load of pears ready to go). Below is my plan of action - which is all based EXACTLY on my cider making experience from last year... THIS IS WHERE HELP, ADVICE and GUIDANCE may be needed :P

-> At the moment I've got all these pears sitting in the basement to ripen a little since there were stored in a refrigeration unit at the farm...

-> In a couple of days I'm gonna be looking for, quote, "You (I) will know when they are getting ripe enough when they have turned a bit yellow and can be dented when you press on them moderately with your thumb."

-> When that day comes, I've read that it's a good idea to mash it them all up, and let it sit for a few hours or overnight (if it's cool) and then press into juice the next day.

-> When I have juice I'm going to add in 6.5 crushed campdens and wait two days

-> 2 days later I plan on adding 1 tsp tannin, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme (per each UK Gallon) & then add in my Yeast (Which this year is planned with a "Danstar Nottingham ale yeast", made in Austria)

-> Leave until nearly christmas

-> Syphon off into a steel beer keg

-> Force carbonate with keg-fridge/CO2

-> Drink at Christmas :D

So that, in a nutshell, is "the plan"... Having said all that, I humbly appear to your guys' expertise in 'all matter Perry'; you guys were immensely helpful last year and any input is appreciated. I've read a bit on tannin levels in pears being different (so not sure if that affects my plan to add tannin) and the possibility of adding, quote, "3 grams per liter of tartaric acid to acidify the juice". Whatever the advice, please remember these are generic North American pears (so table sweet and not really perry quality)...

Right, that there's my dilemma gentlemen... Thoughts?

The only thing I can sensibly say is it is probably worth checking the acidity before you go adding acid.
And of course TotalAcidity (by titration) and pH are different animals with a slightly odd interelationship.
For cider they recommend a pH between 3 and 3.8
But, mainly, the thing you're most likely to be missing is tannin. Taste the juice...

all sounds ok to me for a first attempt.

I juiced some pears last night, and some of them had fairly hard outside, but the insides were going a mushy brown colour. Some were very mushy, and had gone black in the middle, and yellow on the outside. I decided to err on the side of caution, and take out the darker brown mush, but probably would have been ok including it. Pears do appear to rot from the middle out, so be aware of that if any look suspicously squidgy.

Thanks for the feedback gents...

So I've been mulling it over and think that I'm gonna skip the force-carbonation plan and try and go for an old-fashioned bottling technique...

I've got three nice glass carboys downstairs (that I bought used last year and never bothered with them). They each are 5 US Gallons a piece - which I measured out to 4 gallons 2.25 pints to the fill line... (So, 4 gallons basically)...

Having had this re-think I came up with an idea to maybe make:
- 1 carboy 100% pear with nottingham ale yeast
- 1 carboy 50/50 pear & apple (apple just being a local sweet fresh pressed variety -- nothing great) with [unknown-open-to-suggestion] yeast
- 1 carboy (whatever is left over with pear) + topped up with apple (as just mentioned) with [unknown-open-to-suggestion] yeast

What is the consensus gents?

The other yeasts I have are as follows:

- Muntons Active Brewing Yeast (2 packs of 6 grams)
- Coopers Brewing Yeast (1 pack of 7 grams)
- Mangrove Jacks Craft Series M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast (2 packs of 10 grams)

Oldbloke,

Fair play. And you're right, of course! ;)

So another idea we had for the third batch (the mongrel batch you might say) -- was to add in either Strawberries or Blackberries into the mix...

Any thoughts for this? Strawberries, Blackberries and/or both???

I've just checked on the pears and they still have a way to go to ripen up... Out of an average box of about 40 lbs there's maybe 2 or 3 ripe one in there... So still got another two or three days at least before we're ready to juice :)

:D

I've tried an ale yeast in a TurboCider and it was OK, in fact doing it again on Friday, so nowt wrong with trying the Nottingham in one batch.

Not sure about the fruit, I think some people would add it towards the end of fermentation to try to keep as much flavour & colour as poss, but it may make no difference.

Well, as ever, thanks for all your help.

Quick update... Brew 1 is now well underway... It's a 60/40 split between a (badly) juiced batch of pears (it was my first go and it was a little on the pulpy side)... and 40% sweet apple 'cider' (no preservative, store bought fresh stuff)... We got 4 Imperial Gallons on the go being brewed with Munton's Brewers Yeast (Which I've been led to believe is an Ale Yeast of sorts)... 2 days on and it's bubbling away like mad.

I also run out of Pectic Enzyme for this.... Only enough for 1 teaspoon (instead of the insisted 1 per gallon)... But tannin at 0.5 tsp/gallon and yeast nutrient (the same) has been added.

Brew 2 has just been started. That's 100% Bartlett Pear juice which was quite clear (strained through two pillow case layers) --- this has just has Nottingham Ale Yeast (or so it ways on the pack) added to it...

This has had all the noted ingredients added to it (Pectic, Nutrient and Tannin).

Any thoughts? Boozing come Christmas? ;)

StrandedinCanada said:
Boozing come Christmas? ;)

Should be ready to bottle no later than say Oct7, 2 or 3 weeks warm then cool - would be drinkable about Nov10 but will be much better at Christmas.

Latest posts

Back