Thoughts please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sympathys from me, my Lager is ALMOST undrinkable but to make it worse,it's the clearest best looking beer I have ever made

If mine had been 'almost' undrinkable I would have bottled some before I chucked the rest, just to see if it came good after time. The smell was so overpowering that it was difficult to taste even the sample jar!

The last one was fine smell and taste-wise until after I dryhopped. Unfortunately this coincided with the late August heatwave and it went very bad, very quickly over 3 to 4 days.

Dead easy! Cadge a fridge,heater from tool station for under £20 and inkbird around £25...or if you're a lucky bugger like me you win one..or two in the forum give away! The rest is made to suit..shelf for the fv with timber I already had and your time and a bit of fiddling to get it how you want it.

20170324_220118.jpg

I have an STC 1000 just sitting about and a fridge that, well. fridges... What heater do you have in their mate?

So an update.

I decided to bottle it, it finally finished at 4.1% around 1012, not what I expected but hey-ho.

I opened one to 'check' it. (yea, shurrup). Actually tasted really damn good, better even that the one I wasnt even worried about. So I'm going to leave them to sit at about 22.5 (ambient) for a few days while the carbonation builds up, then cold crash those suckers.

In the meantime. What do you guys store your bottles in while you wait? (before cold crashing).

I've chucked a load of **** my Mrs was hoarding in the kitchen cupboards and have enough room to stash around 40 bottles. They stay there for a fortnight then go outside in my shed...

I've chucked a load of **** my Mrs was hoarding in the kitchen cupboards and have enough room to stash around 40 bottles. They stay there for a fortnight then go outside in my shed...
I've actually managed to find a cardboard box big big enough to put them in. they are currently sitting in front of the door to the airing cupboard.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I've actually managed to find a cardboard box big big enough to put them in. they are currently sitting in front of the door to the airing cupboard.

In this case, like most things in homebrewing, time is a great healer in sorting out most of the problems. Concerns about infections, oxidation, phenols and other troubles dissipate when you actually get to the sharp end, i.e drinking the stuff after a few weeks on from packaging.
And I usually leave mine in a 'warm' place to carb up, anything from 18*C upwards depending on the time of year, it always carbs up eventually, and it then gets put in the coldest place I have to mature out which can be quite warm in summer and tbh I don't think it makes a jot of difference what that temperature is. What does make a difference however is the time you allow for maturing and that depends on the beer itself.

Yup, I'm determined to leave both my brews for at least 2 weeks before crashing them. So I've bought some more Kits Hahahaha and a Wine kit for SWMBO

In this case, like most things in homebrewing, time is a great healer in sorting out most of the problems. Concerns about infections, oxidation, phenols and other troubles dissipate when you actually get to the sharp end, i.e drinking the stuff after a few weeks on from packaging.
And I usually leave mine in a 'warm' place to carb up, anything from 18*C upwards depending on the time of year, it always carbs up eventually, and it then gets put in the coldest place I have to mature out which can be quite warm in summer and tbh I don't think it makes a jot of difference what that temperature is. What does make a difference however is the time you allow for maturing and that depends on the beer itself.

Terry is spot on, though personally, I found the early hot summer months problematical. My view is that if the Egyptians could make beer without forums and the internet it can't be that difficult...in fact thay built pyramids and even now we don't know how they did it. A slightly more cynical view would propose that forums ( of all genres) and all the guff they spout has made life more difficult. Did those monks in Belgium in the 14th century have all this information. Probably not, and yet they still churn out wonderfull beer. It is what it is.

Terry is spot on, though personally, I found the early hot summer months problematical. My view is that if the Egyptians could make beer without forums and the internet it can't be that difficult...in fact thay built pyramids and even now we don't know how they did it. A slightly more cynical view would propose that forums ( of all genres) and all the guff they spout has made life more difficult. Did those monks in Belgium in the 14th century have all this information. Probably not, and yet they still churn out wonderfull beer. It is what it is.
+1 I down with that.

Latest posts

Back