Tonic Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where best to post this but wondering if anyone has tried the still spirits tonic kit? The malt miller are selling this and just watched their video about it here if interested. Im planning to buy one of the kits with my next order to try it out, looks really simple and would save a fair bit of money and loads of plastic bottles if its good.

Anyone tried it yet?

Threads Merged C_T

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the video from TMM and I'm interested in trying it. I keep a keg of carbonated water on tap for nights when I'm not drinking and I'd much rather it had a bit more flavour and I quite like tonic on its own (or maybe with a splash of bitters).

TMM's delivery charges mean I'll be waiting until I need to make a bigger order but I'll definitely give it a go at some point.

I like the idea of it apart from the use of artificial sweeteners. 19l is an awful lot of tonic though, wonder what the shelf life of it would be, guess it depends on how well you sanitised everything.

I like the idea of it apart from the use of artificial sweeteners. 19l is an awful lot of tonic though, wonder what the shelf life of it would be, guess it depends on how well you sanitised everything.
I’m sure you could swap out the sweetener for sugar if you wanted to. Not sure if the flavouring is natural or artificial.
Shelf life I’d imagine would be quite a while as it’s acidic (citric acid) and includes preservative. 6 months plus at a guess if the keg is sanitised well.

Lob a bottle or so of gin into a corny (quantities would need to be worked out), add this, fill with water, carbonate, G&T on tap 😁 Less worry about it going off too due to the presence of alcohol.

My only concern is that the gin could eventually settle out on the top of the corny so you end up with a very strong one at the end, not sure if this would happen or not but don't say I didn't warn you if trying out this daft idea, or just shake it before serving. 🤣

I received mine today and got it into a keg. Instructions say to use within 3 months of making it which shouldnt be an issue for us.

After putting it in the keg I set the CO2 to 40psi and shook the keg a few times to give it a bit of a head start. Had a taste and for warm (probably about 30C), not very fizzy tonic it was surprisingly tasty. I have it in the fridge now set at 30psi and will give it another try tomorrow, probably with a bit of gin too.

I received mine today and got it into a keg. Instructions say to use within 3 months of making it which shouldnt be an issue for us.

After putting it in the keg I set the CO2 to 40psi and shook the keg a few times to give it a bit of a head start. Had a taste and for warm (probably about 30C), not very fizzy tonic it was surprisingly tasty. I have it in the fridge now set at 30psi and will give it another try tomorrow, probably with a bit of gin too.
Any update? Looking forward to hearing what you thought of it.

So for me the tonic is a great success. I normally use either schwepps or even Tesco own brand tonic as I quite like it and actually dont really like the premium brands (fever tree in particular which seems to be the main one) so may not be the best to properly judge tonic, however the kegged one went down really well. It is nicely balanced with a decent amount of bitterness , sweet and a hint of lemon - I was concerned the lemon might be too strong as I dont like the lemon flavoured tonics but this is really subtle. The wife who is a bit more particular loved it too, only complaint was it still wasnt fizzy enough but that is being remedied now, I have it at 20psi and 6C, hopefully in a few days it should be fully carbonated.

So I think this will be a regular(ish) buy for me now, Im going to make sure to always have a keg of it available, not sure about sacrificing a tap on my keezer to it but I might get another 5L mini keg to refill from the corny and keep in the fridge and just use it with a party tap.

Interested to hear others thoughts but for me its a winner and worst case you throw away £6 if you dont like it.

If you have a counter pressure bottle filler then it will stay carbonated as long as the lid of the bottle isn't removed. My beer stays carbonated fine using the williams warn counter pressure filler.
A sodastream bottle force carbonated on their gadget and then capped stays fizzy well if kept cold. Not quite as vital as just made and deteriorates fast if the bottle is opened and closed lots of times.

Just wondering why people don't just buy the sodastream schweppes concentrate, I think diet version available as well and work out the proportions and add to water carbonate in a keg? You can buy this in the supermarket so no postage.

If you have a counter pressure bottle filler then it will stay carbonated as long as the lid of the bottle isn't removed. My beer stays carbonated fine using the williams warn counter pressure filler.
A sodastream bottle force carbonated on their gadget and then capped stays fizzy well if kept cold. Not quite as vital as just made and deteriorates fast if the bottle is opened and closed lots of times.

Just wondering why people don't just buy the sodastream schweppes concentrate, I think diet version available as well and work out the proportions and add to water carbonate in a keg? You can buy this in the supermarket so no postage.
Thought I’d take a look, Sainburys has them for £4 a bottle, a bottle makes 7-9 litres so if you use two and make 18 litres so it’s about par.

That is exactly what I do. I keep a keg of plain carbonated water and then I can add whatever flavour I want.

Latest posts

Back