Torrified/Carapils/Lactose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl0ckage

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey all, just a few questions regarding some grains and lactose.

i started using torrified hoping to get a mouthfeel similar to saltaires beers.
This hasn't worked very well at all, i mash BIAB for 1 hour to 90 mins depending on the recipe.

Also when i use lactose for my stouts, it drops at the bottom of the fermenter, and doesn't add anything to my stout, i add with 10 mins left to the boil.
Anyway to stop this clumping if i dry add it or am i supposed to allow the stout to sit on the lactose for awhile?

Also carapils doesn't seem to add any mouthfeel at all, i recently did a brew with just pale malt and carapils and it's very watery. I used nearly my whole 500g bag for a 14L batch. (only have a 23L boiler) - I have used malto dextrine before but like the lactose it drops to the bottom of the fermenter and doesn't add much of anything.

Is there something i am doing wrong here?

What's your mash temp? Mashing in at around 68 and holding it there, more importantly, will increase body. You can go up to 70 for milk stouts. A longer mash will break down more sugars creating a drier beer, but a higher OG reading. at the same time, high attenuating yeast might strip some body out. US-05 drops low for example, so try a WLP yeast, or something along the lines of Nottingham or S-04.

If your lactose is clumping...maybe it's old? I usually just pour mine in at the end. Bash it with a spoon etc. But It's more to add smoothness to your beer, and 500g won't add a whole lot of sweetness, just a little bit.

Carapils will only work at higher temps, it adds mouthfeel by creating more dextrines. As for additions, try oats. They add a very significant mouthfeel above flaked barley/torrified wheat. however, you should be able to make something full bodied with pale malt and nothing else, so I'd probably blame your mash procedure and try to find out what's wrong there instead of relying on adjuncts...

I heat my strike water to 72, drop my grain in which knocks it down to 68. I leave the thermostat on to keep temp up, temps are constant for the full duration.

Really not sure whats going on, im doing a next brew in the coming week so ill video it.

Latest posts

Back