Trouble with kettle elements tripping out.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerossi

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm having a bloody hard time with my heater elements getting coated with matter, whilst heating the wort up during the early stages of the boil. I use two kettle elements in a 10 gallon boiler and basically they become coated, turn white, and trip out as they over heat. I then have to empty the brew and clean the offending element and start the boil all over again. I'm wondering if I'm sparging for long enough as the wort is a bit cloudy?. I'm on the look out for a large heating element, but there doesn't seem to be much about?.
Any help is much appreciated.

Tim

what sort of boiler/elements, have they an internal cutout that needs disabling

Have a look at the back of the element and see if there is a red pin on it. Otherwise clean them in citric acid to remove all the build up before you brew.
Mine only overheat/cut out when they get too gummed up, since I started cleaning them with citric I haven't had the issue.

hairybiker said:
Have a look at the back of the element and see if there is a red pin on it. Otherwise clean them in citric acid to remove all the build up before you brew.
Mine only overheat/cut out when they get too gummed up, since I started cleaning them with citric I haven't had the issue.

Okay, I'll try that. Cheers!

ilikerossi said:
hairybiker said:

That is sound advice, did my HLT today, it also sounds like you also have very hard water, do you do any water treatments that include reducing alkalinity?

orlando said:
ilikerossi said:
hairybiker said:

That is sound advice, did my HLT today, it also sounds like you also have very hard water, do you do any water treatments that include reducing alkalinity?

Well, I live in a soft water area. I think it's about 6.2 ph. I usually treat the strike water with a campden tablet but that's all.

ilikerossi said:
Well, I live in a soft water area. I think it's about 6.2 ph. I usually treat the strike water with a campden tablet but that's all.

Unlikely the pH is that low but the pH isn't the issue it's the level of bicarbonate in your water, have a look at your local water suppliers website for your postcode, could give some clues.

orlando said:
ilikerossi said:

Unlikely the pH is that low but the pH isn't the issue it's the level of bicarbonate in your water, have a look at your local water suppliers website for your postcode, could give some clues.

Ok I'll have a look.
Cheers!

orlando said:
ilikerossi said:

I've just had a look at Yorkshire Waters web site and after typing my post code in, it shows as being "moderately soft water". Is there anything else I should be adding to the water?

ilikerossi said:
orlando said:
ilikerossi said:

I've just had a look at Yorkshire Waters web site and after typing my post code in, it shows as being "moderately soft water". Is there anything else I should be adding to the water?

Go with the advice to use citric after every brew, or disable the trip, but that is an electrical issue so ask a pro.

I had similar probs with my recycled tesco elements, on the element back there was a white pin retained by a sprung metal disk i pulled off both with long nosed pliers and have not had a problem since.

my pins would have just fallen out,, ive read where people have pulled out pins like this and killed their element so if yours resists being pulled i would look deeper into it? im not qualified to advise just say what i did.

I'm in a soft water area as well and de-scaling elements was new to me, but the beer stone (?) builds up on them
I find a couple of tbs of citric powder in a couple of gal and a few mins boil cleans them up nicely.

hairybiker said:
I'm in a soft water area as well and de-scaling elements was new to me, but the beer stone (?) builds up on them
I find a couple of tbs of citric powder in a couple of gal and a few mins boil cleans them up nicely.
Thanks very much for the advice! I shall do it at once!!!

Latest posts

Back