Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed all of the video of Vlad have his hands firmly, unmoving, on the the table. Knowing that dictators are hyper-aware of how they're viewed, that was the the poorest example I have ever seen. He's more ill than I thought.

Whenever I discuss a situation, I prefer to address the core of the problem.
For example:
If the desktops in an office keep turning up broken, I don't go round and round on the best replacement laptop prices and how my company can manage to make more dough to keep up with it.
I find out why the laptops are being broken in the first place.
Same with this insane Putin nonsense--going on and on about "what if," "how should NATO approach this?" when the problem is the leader of Russia.
The rest is a confused, screen of smoke.

Last edited:
Based on a myriad of posts, I don't label "insane" willy nilly because someone "hurt my feelings" about the US, it's goals or patriotism. I don't look to my country or any other countries for my observation. My observations are empirical.
Putin's behavior is well-documented (I have no doubt it's far worse than we've been allowed to see) and if the casual observer doesn't think that behavior doesn't qualify as "insane," I'm at a loss.
Does everyone here think "insane" means "drooling, unaware, pathetic individual"?

Last edited:
were all missing the point here , putin doesnt want ukrain to join nato , its that simpl

I don't think we are as it was discussed when this all kicked off, he doesn't have enough men to hold the country should he manage to take it and I am sure he knows that if he doesn't it's due to his advisers telling him what he needs to know not the truth which is a worry.
His mental health was discussed yesterday apparently all through covid you had to self isolate for two weeks before you could meet him which would explain the long table he sits at to keep a huge gap between him and others and he basically kept himself to himself and didn't meet many people.

I don't think we are as it was discussed when this all kicked off, he doesn't have enough men to hold the country should he manage to take it and I am sure he knows that if he doesn't it's due to his advisers telling him what he needs to know not the truth which is a worry.
His mental health was discussed yesterday apparently all through covid you had to self isolate for two weeks before you could meet him which would explain the long table he sits at to keep a huge gap between him and others and he basically kept himself to himself and didn't meet many people.

Yes I heard that in five live and they are suggesting that his mental health has seriously declined as a result making him extra paranoid and what not

It seems that the Russians are employing the same tactics they used in Syria (indiscriminate attacks on civilians, destroying infrastructure, power & water supply). A type of 21st century siege.

God only knows where this leads, I think the only way that this ends quickly is if Putin is kicked out by the army or his inner circle.
The West is now in an economic war with Russia which will eventually cause huge hardship in European countries.

McWilliams has a decent podcast speculating as how this will play out.

https://play.acast.com/s/the-david-mcwilliams-podcast/218-russian-sanctions-wartime-speculations

My prediction is this will drag on for weeks thousands will die then they will compromise saying they will not join NATO, I am sure if they had known a week ago this would happen they would have happily said they didn't want to join NATO.
One thing that was mentioned yesterday was they don't want to destroy all the cities as they want to run the country this could work for the Ukrainians as they stated for every one person defending the city five of the attacking army die.

Use the Chinese to broker a deal between Ukraine and Russia agreeing that Ukraine will remain an independent state. So many tripwires though. :(
That would be a good point , however , apparently China now has its eyes on Taiwan again , don't think it's gonna happen is it ?

Ukrainian soldiers stand in the aftermath of overnight shelling at a checkpoint near Kyiv

1646321154047.png

It is not too late for Vladimir Putin to end his invasion of Ukraine, UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has said.
In a message to the Russian president, Mr Wallace said Mr Putin is risking his nation being isolated for decades to come if he does not withdraw troops.
He also said thermobaric weapons had been deployed, and that he worried how far Russia would go in the future.
On Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Mr Putin was already responsible for war crimes in Ukraine.
The defence secretary was speaking alongside his Estonian counterpart Kalle Laanet at a press conference in the country's capital Tallinn, as part of a visit to Nato allies.
Mr Wallace said: "The consequences of what we are seeing in Ukraine will ripple through Europe and Nato for not just weeks, but months and years to come."
Over a week into the invasion of Ukraine, Russian forces have seized control of the key Black Sea port city of Kherson in the south, as the fighting escalates around the country.
Many cities have come under intense shelling, with Wednesday one of the most destructive days of the fighting.
Russia has for the first time admitted taking heavy military casualties, with 498 troops killed and a further 1,597 injured. Ukraine says Russia's losses run into the thousands.
An investigation into possible war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Ukraine has been launched by the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zeleynsky has also accused the Russian leader of war crimes, with the country reporting more than 2,000 civilian deaths since the invasion began last Thursday.

Full article - Ukraine: Not too late for Vladimir Putin to withdraw, says UK defence secretary

Some guy on 5 live today suggesting they may split Ukraine in two like they did East and West Germany so neither side loses.

This explains it in more detail -

Splitting up the country might be the most likely option. However, it is not without severe difficulties.

“Splitting Ukraine would require some entity to implement and enforce the split. While the Russian force might implement a split, I am not convinced Russia has the capacity and wherewithal to enforce it beyond the short run, given the Russian military forces arrayed at this point,” said Deni.

His doubts are justified.

“See, for example, the challenge Russia is having in suppressing resistance in/around the eastern city of Kharkiv and the citizen-soldiers of Ukraine that have volunteered to harass and attack Russian troops. Nonetheless, a split – perhaps along the Dniepr River – remains a possibility,” Deni added.

In general, Putin’s options seem to decrease by the day.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/28/russia-ukraine-war-what-is-putins-endgame

BTW, here's how yesterday's UN resolution went (indicating the 'lines in the sand' for this 'Second Cold War', with the green countries condemning Russia for the invasion, the red nations supporting Russia, and the blue and yellow nations effectively condoning the invasion). NATO won the last one- who do you reckon'll win this Cold War, in the long run?

1920px-United_Nations_General_Assembly_resolution_ES-11_L.1_vote.svg.png

Some guy on 5 live today suggesting they may split Ukraine in two like they did East and West Germany so neither side loses.

This explains it in more detail -

Splitting up the country might be the most likely option. However, it is not without severe difficulties.

“Splitting Ukraine would require some entity to implement and enforce the split. While the Russian force might implement a split, I am not convinced Russia has the capacity and wherewithal to enforce it beyond the short run, given the Russian military forces arrayed at this point,” said Deni.

His doubts are justified.

“See, for example, the challenge Russia is having in suppressing resistance in/around the eastern city of Kharkiv and the citizen-soldiers of Ukraine that have volunteered to harass and attack Russian troops. Nonetheless, a split – perhaps along the Dniepr River – remains a possibility,” Deni added.

In general, Putin’s options seem to decrease by the day.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/28/russia-ukraine-war-what-is-putins-endgame

I think that splitting the country would be kicking the can down the road to future conflict.

I think that splitting the country would be kicking the can down the road to future conflict.

Putin has to think he forced them to ditch joining NATO he will then say he won this is all his ego needs he knows he cannot run the country he doesn't have the man power and as the sanctions bite he isn't going to have money to keep the fight going, he didn't expect the resistance to be as strong as it is and as his army die at a ratio of 5 to 1 he is going to need an out.

They said on the radio today most of these soldiers are young and very green and the only reason he sent them is because he thought the Ukrainians would not fight as they are doing.

Last edited:
The UK has announced sanctions on two more Russian oligarchs - Alisher Usmanov and Igor Shuvalov following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Mr Usmanov's company USM previously had sponsorship ties with Arsenal and - until this week - Everton.
Mr Shuvalov was formerly Russian President Vladimir Putin's deputy prime minister.
The BBC is contacting the two men for their response.
Under the UK government's new restrictions, their assets will be frozen and they will be banned from travelling to the UK.
British citizens and businesses will not be allowed to deal with them.
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said: "Sanctioning Usmanov and Shuvalov sends a clear message that we will hit oligarchs and individuals closely associated with the Putin regime and his barbarous war.
"We won't stop here - our aim is to cripple the Russian economy and starve Putin's war machine."
The government said the two men had "significant interests in the UK and close links to the Kremlin".
Mr Usmanov founded USM Holding company, an investment group that owns iron, steel and copper suppliers and the Megafon telecommunications company.
The company, in which Mr Usmanov holds a 49% stake, sponsored Everton's training ground and had a naming-rights option for Everton's new stadium, due to open in 2024.
However, on Wednesday, Everton suspended the company's sponsorship arrangements, saying the club was "shocked and saddened by the appalling events unfolding in Ukraine.
Mr Usmanov's business partner Farhad Moshiri - the owner and main investor at Everton - has since stepped down from his role as chairman of USM and announced that he had severed all business links with the Russian.

In addition to connections with Premier League clubs, the government said Mr Usmanov owned Beechwood House in Highgate, worth an estimated £48m, and the 16th century Sutton Place estate in Surrey.
Mr Usmanov's previous ties with Arsenal ended in 2018 when he sold its 30% stake. At the time he was the second largest shareholder in the north London club.
Mr Shuvalov is less well-known in the UK but the Foreign Office said he owned "two luxury apartments in central London worth an estimated £11m".
The Foreign Office also said it had established an Oligarch Taskforce to co-ordinate work to sanction further oligarchs.
Earlier this week, the EU froze the assets of the Mr Usmanov, saying he was "a pro-Kremlin oligarch with particularly close ties to Russian president Vladimir Putin".
At the time, Mr Usmanov issued a statement calling the EU's decision "unfair" and adding that he would "use all legal means to protect my honour and reputation".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60611683

Latest posts

Back