Ultra Quick Turbo Cider???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Reaction score
I don't know what has happened??

I've just started my first Turbo Cider. I started it on Sunday afternoon at 1.050 and all day yesterday was bubbling like mad, over 1 a second (see attached video (if I can)). Today (day 2) it has gone down to one bubble every 40 seconds and is reading 1.000.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6r-pFJz2PJAWVFuUmVQdEJWMHM

Can this be normal?

Thanks
Jon

Here's what went in

attachment.php

20161204_161243.jpg

Couple of thoughts:

1. Why open up the FV to get a gravity after just one day? I don't touch my brews for at least two weeks.

2. The SG of a liquid is temperature dependent so did you compensate for the temperature increase due to fermentation?

One bubble per 40 seconds is still "vigorous fermentation" in my book! :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the reply

1, I'm new, over-enthusiastic, keen, curious, kid with a new toy, etc etc. It was 2nd day, just thought I would take a reading to see if it had stopped prematurely or it was near the end.

2, With my wine I'm usually a lot more patient, it was just the extremes over 2 days that has had me wondering, as I'm new to this.

So, is this normal with Turbo Cider?

Cheers
Jon

Sorry, I missed your 2nd point.

"2. The SG of a liquid is temperature dependent so did you compensate for the temperature increase due to fermentation?"

I understand that but it won't throw it out that much, I'm just concerned that the ferment was too quick and has gone from 1 extreme to another. Is this normal?

Thanks
Jon

It really does vary from brew to brew. :lol: :lol:

Changes to the SG due to temperature changes are tiny but they can still be worrisome if the brew isn't going as expected.

Rapid and violent fermentation that calms after only a few hours is "normal" in so far as some members have posted photographs of FV lids blown to the other side of a kitchen!

Equally, I have a Marsh Mild in my fridge at the moment and I have yet to see a bubble in about five days. I'm not worried though because the layer of yeast on the bottom of the FV is increasing so I must have a leak on the lid or around the bung.

The key to brewing is "Don't worry!" the brew only has two chances ... :whistle: :whistle:

... and mostly they come good if we leave them alone! :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers for that. I'll know for sure in a few months if it was normal!

Thanks
Jon

I've had TC's batter down to 1.000 within 3-4 days but yours is certainly rapido !

I would give it an extra few days though, I've found that when I've started and bottled a TC within a week, they tend to give me a bit of the trots.... and I have a pretty strong constitution 😄

Did it go much lighter in colour too ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It has stopped completely now, no activity at all for a day. I am going to leave it for a few more days though. It has gone a bit lighter and not so murky.

Sweet, should be good to prime and bottle at the weekend 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back