Using a plethera of British style hops in what?

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by the baron, Jul 16, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jul 19, 2019 #21

PhilBrew

PhilBrew

PhilBrew

Hi Baron

Good luck with the brew, Styrians and Fuggles should dry-hop nicely IMHO wink...

For the rest of your British hop stockpile, can I suggest an alternative approach ... I know you've got lots and you're looking to have a clear-out ... but I'd suggest you "play the long game" with having that clear out ... store them as cold and as airtight as you can, and just put on a British style beer, every so often ... those are the sorts of beers they were selectively bred and grown for, after all :?: ... OK, a Stout, Bitter or Mild (even) won't use a big proportion of those hops, won't make a big dent in your stockpile ... and yes there'll be some degradation of alpha-acids, and maybe taste, over time ... but most British hops were never particularly high alpha-acids (or taste even) anyway, and with most British beer styles you won't necessarily be using such high quantities of hops that any degradation will be particularly evident :?:... I'd also say, don't be tempted to take the "use all one hop to get rid of most of the pack" approach, these hops can be a little one-dimensional used alone, when in combinations they can really "zing", that might mean you end up using little bits from a few packs, but you will be rewarded in the finished beer wink...

... I've brewed with Flyer, mostly it's like Golding's (that combination of floral and spicy) with a definite hint of mustard in the finish (in particular Coleman's yellow mustard powder) ... went really nicely in a Dark Mild, paired with Fuggles wink... :beer1:

Cheers, PhilB

An Ankoù likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2019 #22

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

thanks
    Thanks Phil I have too many to use quickly so it will be a long game but I wanted to get advise on using more than normal by dry hopping which I have never done with english ale styles. I will do a few more ales or bitters but not a lover of stouts although a porter is not too bad its just that 40 pints seems to last forever in the heavier beers. I do vac pack and store in a fridge so they will last a long time its just that storage space is becoming a issue as they do creep up on you. I do not generally use a single british style hop on its own and usually use about 3 varieties in a ale/bitter and thanks for the tip on flyer

3. Jul 20, 2019 #23

matt76

matt76

matt76

Landlord. Supporting Member

I made some notes on my ESB here if you're interested:
    https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/matt76s-brewdays.81971/page-3#post-832163

Unfortunately it's tricky to answer your question about the dry hop properly as the brown malt I used is a little too much.

It may change a bit over time of course but if I had to guess right now I'd say the amounts I used in the dry hop were about right athumb..

4. Jul 20, 2019 #24

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Hi Matt just finished the brew 5 minutes ago I did a low alcohol English IPA style with 3kg base pale, 100g munich, 100g crystal 145 EBC malt, some torrified and porridge oats. The hops I used where all at 15 mins 30g Cardinal Styrian, 25g Fuggles and 20g of Styrian Goldings. I plan to dry hop with 30g Cardinal Styrian, 25g of Fuggles and 9g 0f styrian Goldings that was left for 3 days. I am only doing 3 days as it is the first dry hop with these types of hops and do not want a grassy taste. Time will tell and as what category it comes under really who knows

5. Jul 20, 2019 #25

Honk

Honk

Honk

Landlord.

I can't remember if I dry hopped and can't find any records but I was once given a big bag of target and put them all in an IPA which turned out rather good. Might have to revisit this now that you remind me of it.

6. Jul 20, 2019 #26

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

I have used Target in a bitter with other hops and a very under rated hop for that style. People seem to only use it for bittering but as I have said in previous posts I don't really use bittering hops now but do a lot more late additions to get more flavour into the beer and use these to get my IBU's