Vinnegary beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there any one single reason why a beer would taste slightly vinegary. I bought a pint of Batemens xb last night and it tasted like that.

Perhaps they haven't cleaned their lines and it's sat in the beer engine for a while. Either that or the keg was going off?

Could be it was stuck in the beer engine cylinder for a while, decent pubs pull off a quarter pint before they start to serve for the day, vinegar means very stale and off, hope you sent it back

I've had that three times in pubs in the last 6 months, one in the middle of a busy evening in a busy town, once with Wainwright at lunchtime and another that wasn't vinegar, but horrible chemical/metallic flavour.........all sent back, with staff taking a taste and no argument

The last was *hangs head in shame* Tetley in a theatre bar, the only bitter they had, (honest :eek: ) but I got it swapped for some very nice Great Orme they had in a bottle under the bar :thumb:

old stale beer. comercial casks should be on no longer than three days.period. acetobacter has left its little calling card in that beer, a few more weeks and itll be full of string :sick:

Back