Vossyish oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGazza

Reaction score
Just brewed (Tues 22nd) my 3rd all grain and first stout.Based on Vossy;s highly recommended Oatmeal Stout recipe.
Variations being on 30 litre brewlength, substitution of 350gms chocolate malt with 250 brown and 100gms black malts as i wanted to use these up and 70gms Fuggles(ditto). and 70gms local picked wild hops. Without tempting fate all seems to be going well, down to 1014 this morning (friday).
First use of phial yeast and making a starter also, Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast.So gaining experience along the way.
Also another first, an attempt of sticking some pictures on this post so bear with me, cheers.

The grain The Kit

3945844056_e1ed656bd7.jpg
3945094687_7e97af3d13.jpg

Roasted Oats The Mash

3945858060_be24f10fea.jpg
3945819574_76ea682ec6.jpg

In go the hops The Boil

3945885302_7b5ac45a25.jpg
3945905120_e7e8b1875e.jpg

Aerate wort

3945128197_624204d6d3.jpg
3945135251_905c1c9026.jpg

Temperature adjusted gravity reading was 1045 so a little down on the recipe but i have ended up with about 33 litres, don't know how that happened, must of got carried away with sparging as i had a full boiler of liquor.
Thanks for recipe Vossy hope it tastes as good as it smells and looks in the fermenting bin. Drinking 5 gallon pressure barrel at Christmas and bottling remainder so will let you know the results when first bottle is cracked in about a month. Cheers all.

Looks like you had a sunny day to brew the roasted oats will give it a nice flavour :thumb:

Great post, I must try roasting some Oats and going an Oatmeal stout.
Looks good. :)

All casked and bottled, finished , at 1010 giving 4.6%abv and a marvellous 35 litres total.

3963517076_d49e4cdd95.jpg

Just gotta wait till the pre Xmas party to knock that barrel off ||||||||||||

I like the look of that :drink:

Just one question though, does that barrel have an injector unit?
If not, with the lack of Ullage you have in there to store the CO2 gas produced during conditioning, you may have trouble dispensing it, or not depending on how thirsty the party goers are :drink: :drunk:

Tasted real good, dryish ,roasted choccy flavours can't wait for it to condition.
No do not have injector unit.
My previous beers a kit Wherry , 6 weeks in 5 gal barrel, and all grain rauchbier 5 weeks in 2 gal barrel were all fine,( Discovery in there at present). Bought them in from garage, set up on worktop, slowly released pressure and started drinking 24-36hrs later and they were fine. More apprehensive about this one though with 3 months conditioning, howether i primed 5 galls with 40gms sugar only so it wont have much to eat. I was not going to prime at all, what do you think? would that have been a better option. Maybe i need to check and release some pressure after 6 weeks or so.
I think my optimum brewlength is 23litre, 2 galls in the pressure barrel which i normally knock off with a couple mates after 4-6 weeks conditioning, and put the rest in grolsch bottles for leisure drinking, so i dont feel the need for extraneous gas and the extra kit i would need to purchase. It obviously alleviates these sort of problems though|

If you intend to crack the cap and dispense via gravity it will be fine :thumb:
That just looked to be a very full barrel and I didn't want to think you might deprive your guests of all that dark beery loveliness due to a lack of CO2 to dispense with ;)

Update on this lovely stout. Knocked off the 5 gal pressure barrel at pre xmas drinks with some friends, highly rated and enjoyed by all, even non ale drinkers who dared to try it. Great recipe Vossy, i would recommend this baby to everyone.
Cheers Gazza

muddydisco said:
Another Great recipe and Wez doing another stout the second ever!

I got halfway through the first 60L attempt at an Oatmeal stout but had to ditch it :(

Keep an eye out on the Barley Bottom website for a new line of top quality brewing oats ;)
Coming soon :thumb:

Glad to hear the OS turned out well Gazza, I love the original recipe, it's a belter :drink:
Thanks for the tip t_s :thumb:

I must add this recipe to the database :hmm: (Added)

Back