Water additions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardoslayer

Reaction score
Hi, just wondered if anyone in the East or West midlands (UK) has used any gypsum or calcium chlorides? I live about 15 miles from Burton upon trent so my water should be pretty good so us it worth me doing it. Has any one had a water report from their supplier? Is it easy to do and worth doing?
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi, just wondered if anyone in the East or West midlands (UK) has used any gypsum or calcium chlorides? I live about 15 miles from Burton upon trent so my water should be pretty good so us it worth me doing it. Has any one had a water report from their supplier? Is it easy to do and worth doing?
Thanks all!
Traditionally brewing water used by Burton breweries came from brewery owned wells, and Marstons still celebrate this in their 61 Deep beer. And it is no coincidence that Burton well water is high in gypsum and a few miles up the road there are gypsum mines. However this may have nothing to do with the water that comes through your mains tap since although you live a relatively short distance from Burton the water you get through your tap may have travelled from someway off and have a completely different analysis.
So, in short, do what @MmmBeer has suggested, and then dose accordingly.

Latest posts

Back