Water boiler heating element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I think my element has gone on my water boiler, as every time I turn it on it trips the electrics. I don't think the boiler is actually a burco, it has a small plate ont he side saying its a lee and wilkes? I can only find the elements on ebay for burcos, anyone know if I can use these instead as I cant find any lee and wilkes ones

I guess it all depends on the way your element is mounted, size of holes etc. I guess there is only one way to find out, unless you have a local electrical merchant you can take yours to to see if they can suggest a suitable replacement?
If you have a multimeter, you could confirm the element has gone by checking the resistance between the two power pins - should be short circuit.

Im a bit stuck now, not sure what I'm going to do, seems a massive waste to get rid of it?

I presume it's a concealed element like a Burco/Buffalo?
That being the case you could just cut a hole in the side and mount a new element inside the pot. If it's your copper you won't need any temp control on it other than on/off.

DA

I presume it's a concealed element like a Burco/Buffalo?
That being the case you could just cut a hole in the side and mount a new element inside the pot. If it's your copper you won't need any temp control on it other than on/off.

DA

I use it just to boil the wort, and the element in the boiler is exposed, so you can see it at the bottom

Then you have 3 choices as I see it mate.

1 - get lucky and find an element that fits and replace it.

2 - can you weld or do you know someone who can? If so, take the old element out, weld a plate over the holes to seal it, get a new element and drill the required holes for it, or go for gas.

3 - bin it.

I'm sure there might be more options, but none spring to my mind

Then you have 3 choices as I see it mate.

1 - get lucky and find an element that fits and replace it.

2 - can you weld or do you know someone who can? If so, take the old element out, weld a plate over the holes to seal it, get a new element and drill the required holes for it, or go for gas.

3 - bin it.

I'm sure there might be more options, but none spring to my mind

I do know a welder actually, and have a massive bottle of propane not being used. What element etc would I need though to change to it to gas? I know it would be a gas one but what should I search for?

Photo would be useful so we know what it currently looks like but as ManseMasher says those are pretty much your options.

DA

Heres a few pictures

20151029_085014.jpg

20151029_085051.jpg

20151029_084953.jpg

20151029_085038.jpg

What's it tripping - the fuse or the RCD? I'm just wondering if it is definitely the element that's the issue as there's not a lot that can go wrong with them. Is that an on off switch or an adjustable temperature controller? Might be worth bypassing it and ruling that out before you spend time and effort on the element.

How are you with electrics, or do you know an electrician that can test the components for you??

What's it tripping - the fuse or the RCD? I'm just wondering if it is definitely the element that's the issue as there's not a lot that can go wrong with them. Is that an on off switch or an adjustable temperature controller? Might be worth bypassing it and ruling that out before you spend time and effort on the element.

How are you with electrics, or do you know an electrician that can test the components for you??

It has one knob on the side that goes into a simmersat, i can turn the machine on so the light comes on, but when i turn it any further its trips out

As I said before mate, have you got access to a multimeter? Check the element resistance to see if it is short or open circuit. You could also disconnect the live and neutral from the element to the simmerstat and see if the resistance varies as you wind it up/down, or if it goes open circuit at any point.

As I said before mate, have you got access to a multimeter? Check the element resistance to see if it is short or open circuit. You could also disconnect the live and neutral from the element to the simmerstat and see if the resistance varies as you wind it up/down, or if it goes open circuit at any point.

i have asked the local sparky to pop over and have a look, if not back to the drawing board!

There's another (potentially more dangerous) issue that you can have with the element which is if it is leaking current to ground as this can raise the metalwork to a higher voltage. Easy to test: there should be zero continuity between either terminal on the element and ground. My espresso machine failed in this way, and it would trip my RCD in the house (which is there to protect you specifically for this reason).

That element looks replaceable by unscrewing the threaded nut on the wiring side. The elements tend to be fairly cheap.

What he said ^^^

It's easy to do if you have a multimeter, just pull off the terminals on the element and measure the resistance. If you're not sure then best get the electrician to look at it (although unless it's a mate he'll possibly just condemn it).

As rodabod says, it could be leaking to earth rather than tripping the breaker on overload which I was asking if it's the fuse or RCD that has tripped?

So my electrician mate came over, tested element and its has gone, so am gonna have to remove it and take it in to somewhere see if they can replace it

Back