Water for wine kit's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honk

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's a long time since I made any wine but stocks are getting low and I need to take a break from beer brewing to top up the red wine supply.
Just had a beaverdale merlot kit delivered, done this before and it was great but can't remember what water I used.

Options are either use tap water, I normally brew with this treated with a Camden tablet and its fine but it gets a full boil when beer brewing and won't when making wine.

Boiled tap water, I could boil this tonight then make up tomorrow once it's cooled

Tesco's ashbeck water, I could buy this on way home tomorrow and make up kit tomorrow.

What's the advice from the regular wine brewers?, it's a 23 litre kit and I don't need to rush it. I've done nice red wines before but the whites I've made haven't quite been up to par, but these were done in the early days and I suspect that water used and lack of temperature control were the cause

If your water is drinkable use that i have never paid for water that doesn't come out of my tap. wink...

Took Chippys advice and used tap water, pretty sure that's what I used previously, if I get round to doing another white wine kit then will try using bottled water.

There must be something in this.

Getting the right water must apply to grape as well as grain. I spent many a year trying to produce hedgerow wines and even kits and often ended up with a metallic or appley tasting wine. With hindsight I now know that pH is important with beer and so is removal of Chlorine. Wouldn't that also be the case with wine?

With hindsight some of the best wines I made were with boiled water so I assume that means the chlorine has gone and hardness reduced. Some of the most astringent wines were made from plain tap water and crushed fruit.

It's a gut feel assumption, but I reckon water chemistry has a lot to do with quality of wine.

I always use tap water but i live in Scotland and the water is excellent. With white and rose wines i always ferment right out and then back sweeten with up to 15gms of normal sugar syrup.
Before the sweetening process the whites can taste very acidy if that is a word. Sorry if i am preaching to the converted. I never need to sweeten reds though and my current favourite is the CC merlot.

Back