Water profile for belgian wit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewing my first belgian wit today. Bit unsure of what water profile I should be aiming for. Especially as the ingredients include acidulated malt. Can someone suggest what I should aim for.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Brewing my first belgian wit today. Bit unsure of what water profile I should be aiming for. Especially as the ingredients include acidulated malt. Can someone suggest what I should aim for.

Thanks in advance.
It really depends on what your starting water profile is. Do you definitely need the acid malt? If so have you calculated how much you need? Otherwise I personally would go for 100ppm calcium with a chloride forward profile.
Also when doing the 50degC mash do you use all ingredients? Or just the wheat malt and oats?
Thanks
Just bung it all in thumb.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

What yeast are you using? I was looking at doing a wit, but the Wyeast it suggests is £7 plus postage...

It really depends on what your starting water profile is. Do you definitely need the acid malt? If so have you calculated how much you need? Otherwise I personally would go for 100ppm calcium with a chloride forward profile.

Just bung it all in thumb.
Thanks Steve, that's kind of what I've gone for so that's comforting. Used the target profile on brew father which is similar to what you are suggesting.

Thanks for the advice about bunging it all in.

I'm conditioning one now where I cultured the yeast from 4x330 ml hoegarrten bottles. Tasting from the FV suggests its going to be a goodun.

Back