Weighing grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
How do folks weigh their grain?

I use bathroom scales, but they annoyingly switch themselves off while I am half way through shovelling out the the grain.

And with a bucket that is big enough to hold 5Kg of grain sitting on the scales I can't see the reading.

Normal kitchen scales . Weigh in 2kg batches and chuck it into a bigger bucket !
Gets a bit dusty in the kitchen !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, good plan.
You're not joking about the grain dust.
I am looking like Dusty Miller as I type this. :)

Hi!
Kitchen scales, also, in batches.

It seems so obvious now you mention it. :doh:

My brain definitely not working this morning. Must have got up too early.

I was scrabbling about moving grain around to try to see through the bottom of my plastic bucket to read the weight off the scales underneath.

Then the scales timed out and switched themselves off and I had to start again.

Then I got an error message as I got to 5Kg (the max weight for my kitchen scales as it turns out). :mad:

Deep breath... Batches on scales, into bigger bucket.
All under control now, and mash under way.

Thanks both!

Dumb question - how do you condition the grain?

Hi!
There are no dumb questions on this forum.
This is a page about grain conditioning.
Basically, "damp" the grain, wait half an hour and then mill the grain.
You can put a tighter crush on your mill because the husks are broken open without tearing them to pieces.
I use a different way of weighing the water - put the spray bottle on the kitchen scales, zero the display and carefully pour in the correct weight of water.

I have digital fishing scales hanging from a hook in the brew shed, the grain goes into a black builders bucket. Works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi!
There are no dumb questions on this forum.
This is a page about grain conditioning.
Basically, "damp" the grain, wait half an hour and then mill the grain.
You can put a tighter crush on your mill because the husks are broken open without tearing them to pieces.
I use a different way of weighing the water - put the spray bottle on the kitchen scales, zero the display and carefully pour in the correct weight of water.

Genius !! Ta !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back