Weyermann Sinamar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmark

Regular.
Reaction score
I am planning a dark IPA using Weyermann Sinamar to adjust the colour.

Here are the details on the Weyermann website.
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.as ... &sprache=2

I want to add Sinimar to the database in BeerSmith
It states real extract at 53......so do I use 1.053 as the value in the potential extract field??

When would be best to add the Sinimar to the boil? Instinct is telling me 15 minutes from the end of the boil.

Thanks in advance for any help :cool:

Never tried that, Weyerman's carafa 3 does the same job and is easier to understand how to use. 200 g for a 19L batch is pretty dark. As you say adding at 15 mins is probably fine, like other adjuncts. T

Won't the Carafa bring through a roastiness to the beer??
I don't want that; I want to produce a dark beer without any roasted or toasted notes.

You do get some roastyness but it's minimal as the grains are de-husked, unlike black malt for example. They use it for black lager which doesn't have any significant roasted quality. T

I've found out that a commercial brewer is dosing at 1 litre per barrel.
So if my maths are correct, that is 1 litre of Sinimar in 163 litres of beer.

I'm brewing 40 litres. So I think I will dose at 245ml.

I can't find as yet a value to add in to BeerSmith for the extract potential, but I think as it is such a small part of the recipe the impact will be so small that I can effectively ignore it.
Any more thoughts or info would be appreciated.

markmark said:
I've found out that a commercial brewer is dosing at 1 litre per barrel.
So if my maths are correct, that is 1 litre of Sinimar in 163 litres of beer.

I'm brewing 40 litres. So I think I will dose at 245ml.

I can't find as yet a value to add in to BeerSmith for the extract potential, but I think as it is such a small part of the recipe the impact will be so small that I can effectively ignore it.
Any more thoughts or info would be appreciated.

You might find the dosing rate from the Weyermann website:

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.as ... &sprache=2

HTH :thumb:

I had this number written (umm doodled...) down - maybe from the Weyermann website??

4.7ml in 25l adds 10EBC.

I don't think this stuff have an extract value that is signicant. It's just cold extracted from carafa special grain as far as I know.

Hope the above is useful if the source is long forgotten!

Other extracts from roasted malts usually are rated at 9000-9500 EBC. I guess Sinamar is not far from this.

Farmbrew said:
I had this number written (umm doodled...) down - maybe from the Weyermann website??

4.7ml in 25l adds 10EBC.

I don't think this stuff have an extract value that is signicant. It's just cold extracted from carafa special grain as far as I know.

Hope the above is useful if the source is long forgotten!

So if Sinamar is only used for colour and not flavour, then should it be possible to just cold steep black malt (or similar) for 24 hours to produce something similar, with some EBC calculation to work out how much to steep?

Latest posts

Back