What’s the impact to my OG ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Did a brew today using WLP570 Belgian golden ale. Made a 3 litre starter 48 hours before brew day. Yeast is known for its low flocculation, I didn’t get a chance to cold crash the starter, so most of the yeast was still in suspension. I had no choice but to chuck all 3 litres into the fermenter with the wort. To compensate for the starter volume I added 200g of dextrose to the boil, bit of guess on how much, the SG of the wort before adding the 3 litre starter was 1.076. I estimate the starter was around 4.2% ABV. Is there an easy way to work out what the likely OG was after adding a 3 litre starter to approx 20 litres of wort at 1.076. I could of given a it a stir and taken another reading but couldn’t be bothered at the time. Brewers friend has a dilution and boil off calculator but of course it’s for water and not a starter. Thanks

Last edited:
think you could up the volume in Brewers friend to the full volume inc the 3 litres starter this will bring your OG down now add 200g of sugar to the ingredients and it should work out your new OG

Assuming your starter began at about 1.040 then your effective OG can be worked out like so:

(40 * 3) + (76 * 20) / 23
= 71

So an effective OG of 1.071.

think you could up the volume in Brewers friend to the full volume inc the 3 litres starter this will bring your OG down now add 200g of sugar to the ingredients and it should work out your new OG
I see what you mean, fiddle with the recipe to predict the likely OG, good idea cheers

Latest posts

Back