What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law very kindly sent me this mini keg of Broadside and it's delicious, so much better than the bottled version.

BTW since this is keg conditioned, does anyone know if this contains Adnams primary yeast strain? Also are these kegs reusable? Presumably if I can get the top valve out without destroying it then it's just a matter of priming and resealing?

UO5HxcY.jpg
I couldn’t agree more. The cask version is just superb. Possibly my favourite beer. If its chilled too much there’s little or no head. Looks like you’ve served that just perfectly. I kegged a beer today which I’m hoping will come out something just like that.

My father in law very kindly sent me this mini keg of Broadside and it's delicious, so much better than the bottled version.

BTW since this is keg conditioned, does anyone know if this contains Adnams primary yeast strain? Also are these kegs reusable? Presumably if I can get the top valve out without destroying it then it's just a matter of priming and resealing?

UO5HxcY.jpg
I find the bung at the top almost impossible to remove without damaging it, although I think you can buy replacement.

But yes I find these are about as close as you can get to cask ale, although I find you need to make sure it’s a beer you can drink exclusively as they don’t keep more than a few days once opened (and I would say Broadside falls in that category).

Last edited:
I kegged a beer today which I’m hoping will come out something just like that.
It's a great beer so good luck with your brew. What yeast did you use? I tried to make a Broadside clone a few years ago but didn't get anywhere close.
I find the bung at the top almost impossible to remove without damaging it, although I think you can buy replacement.
Ah OK. Is this the sort of thing to replace it? Rubber plug with pressure relief for minikeg 5 l - The Homebrew Company
and I would say Broadside falls in that category
It certainly does, this won't last long.

It's a great beer so good luck with your brew. What yeast did you use? I tried to make a Broadside clone a few years ago but didn't get anywhere close.

I don’t really experiment with yeasts (yet) so just used S04.
My last attempt didn’t get that close either but maybe you could tell me? I sent you a bottle of it in last years secret Santa:laugh8:

Trying my Amarillo Single Hop. Really shouldnt have as it looks murky, possibly oxidized and is a bit flat. It's only been in the bottle 8 days (warm) and it was made with US05, so I think maybe the murk is actually just really heavy yeast haze. Patience got the better of me but I think this one might need another week in the warm then a good 4 minimum in the garage. Tastes ok tbf, if maybe a little bitter.

My last attempt didn’t get that close either but maybe you could tell me? I sent you a bottle of it in last years secret Santa:laugh8:
Oh yeah the Essex Christmas Cracker, I remember it was really good and certainly better than any of my attempts at something like this!

One I’ve been lusting after since I saw the recipe, @Pennine ’s “Everything Good In The World” Imperial Stout. Something in excess of 12%.

Carbonation is nice, just a little height to help the tan-coloured head form (it is still a young beer). Once there, retention was pretty good despite being a young beer. The beer itself is jet black, even under a bright light so you already know this is not a light bodied imitation.

Aroma is more sweet than I expected but that’s characteristic I think of the bourbon which is the most obvious aroma. A subtle oak aroma follows and a complex array of aromas hide in the shadows, alcohol is there too.

Flavour - 😍 I’m not sure where to start. I guess with the bourbon as the most obvious flavour but chocolate, coffee, even the oak all shine. There is a warming alcohol and halfway through the pint I can *really* feel this one. The mouthfeel is wonderful, it’s so soft, so smooth, and so full-bodied. There is a little bitterness but it’s not at all assertive.

My wife (who some may remember doesn’t like beer much) had a sip and then wanted “a small glass” from my pint😫.

This is a really good beer @Pennine, the kind of beer that’s absolutely packed with body and flavour. One that I aspire to make myself. Respect! :hat:

(As a footnote I’m stood in my kitchen at the end of the pint - minus a small glass for my wife - while waiting for my chilli to reheat and I’ve noticed I have a pronounced lean that wasn’t there before this beer!)

Edit: forgot the picture (course I did, did you see how strong this is?). Here it is...

D928ED46-B23F-4774-99FD-1A728B7AF1CC.jpeg

Last edited:
One I’ve been lusting after since I saw the recipe, @Pennine ’s “Everything Good In The World” Imperial Stout. Something in excess of 12%.

Carbonation is nice, just a little height to help the tan-coloured head form (it is still a young beer). Once there, retention was pretty good despite being a young beer. The beer itself is jet black, even under a bright light so you already know this is not a light bodied imitation.

Aroma is more sweet than I expected but that’s characteristic I think of the bourbon which is the most obvious aroma. A subtle oak aroma follows and a complex array of aromas hide in the shadows, alcohol is there too.

Flavour - 😍 I’m not sure where to start. I guess with the bourbon as the most obvious flavour but chocolate, coffee, even the oak all shine. There is a warming alcohol and halfway through the pint I can *really* feel this one. The mouthfeel is wonderful, it’s so soft, so smooth, and so full-bodied. There is a little bitterness but it’s not at all assertive.

My wife (who some may remember doesn’t like beer much) had a sip and then wanted “a small glass” from my pint😫.

This is a really good beer @Pennine, the kind of beer that’s absolutely packed with body and flavour. One that I aspire to make myself. Respect! :hat:

(As a footnote I’m stood in my kitchen at the end of the pint - minus a small glass for my wife - while waiting for my chilli to reheat and I’ve noticed I have a pronounced lean that wasn’t there before this beer!)
Ah so glad you liked it. Going by simple math you basically had a very very alcoholic pint of beer and a scotch whiskey chaser....

Really enjoying my latest Belgian Pale which has a different grist than my previous batches.not as malty but tasty all the same and the whitelabs Bastogne is a nice change to wyeast Ardennes.
IMG_20201030_192929.jpg

Edit: forgot the picture (course I did, did you see how strong this is?). Here it is...

View attachment 34794
Looking forward to trying this bad boy myself ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back