What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vocation do some lovely beer. I was looking at getting some of the barrel aged releases for Christmas

I got some.
On the weekend I had a love & hate from Tesco. It was awful. Contacted vocation and they are sending me some freebies

Attachments

• 20201202_125421.jpg
    20201202_125421.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 56
Bottling my American amber tonight. That verdant yeast doesn't like to drop at all. I can't cold crash this one, it's in my 30 litre fermentor
Isn't the Verdant yeast rumoured to be London 3? My IPA with L3 has reached it's expected FG and it still had a krausen when I dry hopped it yesterday. I've used it for 4 beers now (same starter) and it's stuck around in 2 of them.

Don't judge me but I was given a case of Bud for my birthday so I had a bottle with food before chilling in the bath with an Elfstedentocht. That's the name I've given to the Cooper's northern European lager.

I've had a few since bottling in September and they've been average. Tonights was very nice. It's about three months in the bottle. It's great to see how it evolves over time. It's funny that earlier when I grabbed the bottle from the shed I scoffed at how many I had left. Now I'm thrilled, this could be my main Christmas beer 🍻

Needless to say, it was far nicer than the Bud.

Last edited:
After fermentation, pour the apple wine into empty 2 litre plastic PET bottles, leaving an inch or two in the top of the bottle. Then place in the freezer for a few days till frozen solid. Than bring back out, undo the lid, turn upside down in a pan and allow 1/2 to melt out. The liquid that melts out will be double strength ABV compared to the original.

good stuff. Thanks

I'm really trying to stick to my one per night policy, so I'm having this alcohol free (and oddly very over carbed) Nanny State. It's an unusual one because it starts off nicely hoppy but the flavour vanishes almost to nothing immediately. It's like sparkling water with a few cascade pellets stirred into it. Still better than several session IPAs I've had.
aw5V8lM.jpg

Kolsch. Not really me but visited a craft brewery called The Sow and Piglet's, the original name of The Twelve Apostles at Port Campbell. It is run by a couple of German brewers, got a tasting paddle, the English IPA, I couldn't work out what they had done to that but it was woeful. Stuck with Kolsch for the night and it inspired me to brew one, second Kolsch I have ever brewed but pretty happy with it. A little under carbed but will be fine by Christmas.
008.JPG

No I don't have a recipe but a quick Google suggests it's a blend of Mosaic and Citra. Vocation's site says there's 3kg of hops per barrel, which is about 380g in a 20L batch :oops:
@dan125 @strange-steve
I brewed a version of Life & Death back in April, was only my 4th ever AG brew but turned out great. Unsure if it was an exact clone but very tasty all the same, this was my recipe:

5.25kg Maris Otter
500g Torrefied Wheat
250g Carapils

Equal amounts of Amarillo, Citra & Mosaic -
15g each @ 60min boil
50g each @ 80c 30min Whirlpool
75g each Dry Hop

Yeast used was US-05

My numbers were out, (still getting used to my system) ended finishing up at 1.010 from 1.057 for 6.2%. Obviously L&D is 6.5% so needs adjusting for your setup.

This was the finished beer:
IMG_20200502_190244.jpg

@dan125 @strange-steve
I brewed a version of Life & Death back in April, was only my 4th ever AG brew but turned out great. Unsure if it was an exact clone but very tasty all the same, this was my recipe:

5.25kg Maris Otter
500g Torrefied Wheat
250g Carapils

Equal amounts of Amarillo, Citra & Mosaic -
15g each @ 60min boil
50g each @ 80c 30min Whirlpool
75g each Dry Hop

Yeast used was US-05

My numbers were out, (still getting used to my system) ended finishing up at 1.010 from 1.057 for 6.2%. Obviously L&D is 6.5% so needs adjusting for your setup.

This was the finished beer:
View attachment 37081
Did you do a side-by-side comparison?

Did you do a side-by-side comparison?
I've sampled plenty of L&D over the years, actually think it's changed slightly recently 🤔, but I didn't do a direct comparison. This beer, as all of mine up until recently, was bottle conditioned and I think it lacked the aroma hit but the taste wasn't far off I reckon. I got the recipe over on the Grainfather community, there's half a dozen clones on their and most have that hop combo.
There's only one way to find out ! 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back