What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one next, I see it quite a lot on the forum so keen to give it a go. It is nice but for me there’s something not quite in balance with this one?

482A2A08-EB9E-457A-BB6A-27C90CFD16F4.jpeg

Picked 4 of these up in waitrose. I'm a big fan of Darkstars more traditional offerings This is also good a 4 2% APA with simcoe, columbus and mosaic.

20210503_181134.jpg

Been sick most of the weekend and was on the gin last night but enjoying a saison from a local brewery. It’s a mixed fermentation brew aged in Pinot noir and Chardonnay barrels and is 8.2%
Very nice and the wine adds a lot to the flavour. View attachment 46472

Sounds nice. Goose Island “Sofie” is also aged in wine barrels and my own “Goofie” saison is based on that but I don’t have wine barrels so I use Nelson Sauvin hops to give the impression of being aged in wine barrels.

Sounds nice. Goose Island “Sofie” is also aged in wine barrels and my own “Goofie” saison is based on that but I don’t have wine barrels so I use Nelson Sauvin hops to give the impression of being aged in wine barrels.
Interesting that the hops can give the “wine” impression.
this one is nearly like drinking a sparkling wine and has very little hop character. The brewer ages the same beer in different barrels and then blends after 6 months or so. Very much a strong alcohol burn from this a very interesting brew. Not my normal tipple but good.

Interesting that the hops can give the “wine” impression.
this one is nearly like drinking a sparkling wine and has very little hop character. The brewer ages the same beer in different barrels and then blends after 6 months or so. Very much a strong alcohol burn from this a very interesting brew. Not my normal tipple but good.
You shouldn’t get a strong alcohol burn from a Saison! but if you like it... ;)

Another from the same. This one another Brett but aged in Sauvignon blanc barrels with local dansoms slightly red hue from it and very dry with a slight fruit flavour from the dansoms. Going down too easy at 5.6%. No photo of the bottle as the labels hadn’t been printed when I got the bottles.
F425D892-02B9-415F-8ACB-0DD6017EDE65.jpeg

Last edited:
On commercial ales tonight (tribute, butty Bach, old vintage hen, champion).... But..... The garage dude is coming next week to fit my new garage door, so I will be back brewing very soon! Yay!!! I think a light mild will be first up as it can be ready to drink in three weeks, even with natural carbing.

If the man says it’s good to go then it’s good to go. @samale lemon and rosemary saison pours really well leaving a massive ice cream like head. Carbonation sounds like a bowl of rice crispies (first thing came to mind) I left the beer sitting for 10 mins and the head has stayed the same. First smell is lemon with subtle rosemary. First sip is more rosemary than lemon and messes up the senses. My mind is saying I shouldn’t like this but I really do. The lemon is a bit lost at the min but it’s there. Spoke too soon as I left the beer to sit for a few mins and as it warms up the lemon comes through. Very nice beer and again different to what I would brew or buy normally but bloody nice and well received . Cheers Sam.
03F92A94-1783-4ED8-BCB9-612D271D3623.jpeg

If the man says it’s good to go then it’s good to go. @samale lemon and rosemary saison pours really well leaving a massive ice cream like head. Carbonation sounds like a bowl of rice crispies (first thing came to mind) I left the beer sitting for 10 mins and the head has stayed the same. First smell is lemon with subtle rosemary. First sip is more rosemary than lemon and messes up the senses. My mind is saying I shouldn’t like this but I really do. The lemon is a bit lost at the min but it’s there. Spoke too soon as I left the beer to sit for a few mins and as it warms up the lemon comes through. Very nice beer and again different to what I would brew or buy normally but bloody nice and well received . Cheers Sam. View attachment 46478
Looks well. Glad you enjoyed it, I thought I had added to much rosemary but its mellowing well. 👍

Looks well. Glad you enjoyed it, I thought I had added to much rosemary but its mellowing well. 👍
It’s there but not overpowering or earthy like rosemary can be. And I do a lovely dish of fresh caught mackerel with lemon and rosemary when They are in greencastle and it reminds me of that.
still drinking it here. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back