What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking @dave_77 hoppy amber, at first quite similiar to my american amber, same hops used so a similiar aroma. Unfortunately a little undercarbed and little to no head on it. Very clear copper brown coloured, american piney/resin hops come through. Much more bitter than mine with a solid malty backbone. Medium to full bodied, I like it, though possibly too bitter for me, but that's just my taste. It fits the bjcp guidelines and is great start to an evenings drinking. Cheers!

20210909_194135.jpg

Drinking @dave_77 hoppy amber, at first quite similiar to my american amber, same hops used so a similiar aroma. Unfortunately a little undercarbed and little to no head on it. Very clear copper brown coloured, american piney/resin hops come through. Much more bitter than mine with a solid malty backbone. Medium to full bodied, I like it, though possibly too bitter for me, but that's just my taste. It fits the bjcp guidelines and is great start to an evenings drinking. Cheers!

View attachment 54034
I had that beer last week, very enjoyable. Mine had perfect carbonation, hops were subtle. An American amber is a tricky one, too much hops your into IPA territory. How many grams of hops did you use Dave.
I plan to brew one next week

First taste of my 'user upper' ipa and.... it's not great, arrgh, I had a feeling it wouldn't be, just a bit meh. Its bitter but theres not much taste to it. Also, it's a bit 'bitty' as the dry hop bag popped open. ☹

20210909_202232.jpg

View attachment 54034
Glad it went down ok..I struggle to get a good seal on the counter pressure filler with the plastic bottles so they tend to get more foamy which may explain the variation. I do tend to go on the upper end of bitterness for any style guidelines 😁

I had that beer last week, very enjoyable. Mine had perfect carbonation, hops were subtle. An American amber is a tricky one, too much hops your into IPA territory. How many grams of hops did you use Dave.
I plan to brew one next week

https://share.brewfather.app/LFrHp0gXaRxj47
Worked out just over 8g per litre dry hop and 40ish IBU

Glad it went down ok..I struggle to get a good seal on the counter pressure filler with the plastic bottles so they tend to get more foamy which may explain the variation. I do tend to go on the upper end of bitterness for any style guidelines 😁

More than ok!

I've moved away from the plastic bottles, they dont seem to keep well at all, especially pales and ipa's.

The bitterness thing though, I think your right to do that, I tend to do the opposite and have been caught out a few times, I have started to increase the bitterness levels and I think my beer has improved.

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-american-amber-ale/
I was doing some research, I love special B or W. Hopefully it will add another layer of flavour. Time will tell
Interesting...for me I prefer them a little maltier and darker than the darkest American Pale. I still like them fairly hoppy so I would worry that special B can have a distinct flavour to it and might get in the way . 8% seems a little strong in a hoppy beer 🤔. I do like 5-7% of malted Rye in Amber/Red ales though.
IMG_20210909_205439.jpg

Interesting...for me I prefer them a little maltier and darker than the darkest American Pale. I still like them fairly hoppy so I would worry that special B can have a distinct flavour to it and might get in the way . 8% seems a little strong in a hoppy beer 🤔. I do like 5-7% of malted Rye in Amber/Red ales though.
View attachment 54040
I plan around 3% so around 150g. Maris otter, Munich and crystal will make up the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back