What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 57098

Oatmeal stout face off Part Deux!

This, courtesy of @pilgrimhudd, is quite different to mine, as the man himself noted upthread. It's noticeably stronger (on paper it's 5% v 4.7%, but feels more to me; I wonder if my calcs are still a bit optimistic. Although I adjusted my spreadsheet after the debate a while back about the right formula to use for calculating ABV). A tasty and enjoyable pint, and I can concur really with pilgrimhudd's earlier comments. This is better carbonated than mine (although mine continues, unsurprisingly, to slowly improve in that respect), and a bit fuller-bodied to match the higher alcohol level.

A fine start to the evening. Nice one! athumb..

NIce one! Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was interesting how different they were!

A rauchbier from kinnegar. I can’t help feeling I missed out here as I poured a rye ipa that had the same burnt/smoked taste. Tastes a bit like a German sausage but has strong burnt taste. Drinkable but only 1
124070E3-4592-4023-8218-B83D62F202FF.jpeg
for me. Ever.

Attachments

• 69D77483-713B-4344-A2F3-935F3420EBE4.jpeg
    69D77483-713B-4344-A2F3-935F3420EBE4.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 13
NIce one! Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was interesting how different they were!

Indeed. I said earlier, I looked at your recipe and it wasn't too different to mine, Maybe the yeast made much of the difference? My habit has been to just use US-05 for stouts. I suppose that all started when I wanted to try several stouts, including the parsnip, all with the same stout. And it seemed to work well in all of them, but is quite neutral, of course. None of which means that other yeasts aren't worth a go, of course.

Only a small Exmoor Gold to finish (honestly). Well it is 5.9%.
I could get to like this.
Challenger bittering hops only, boiled for 60 mins. Plus the EKGs at 10mins.
So why so dry/bitter?
Is this a characteristic of the Challenger hops?
The calculator says 44 IBUs.
And this is the first time I have used condensation water (some might call it distilled) 50/50 with my tap water, which is North Down's and hard.
Then again I've already had a few tonight that were gypsum and Epsom'd
up to the gunwales on top of my hard water, so my tongue may be precoated with fur!
IMG_20211105_224821.jpg

A rauchbier from kinnegar. I can’t help feeling I missed out here as I poured a rye ipa that had the same burnt/smoked taste. Tastes a bit like a German sausage but has strong burnt taste. Drinkable but only 1View attachment 57106 for me. Ever.
There was a time (alas about 25 years ago) when Sainsbury's kept Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier from Bamberg, but I haven't seen it on sale in Britain for a long time. It is not a beer I would want to drink very often, but I have happy memories of a lunch in Bamberg in 1993 accompanied by a few glasses. That was the same day when the handbrake cable on my Rover 820 snapped and I had to drive back to Yorkshire with a caravan but no handbrake. Happy days!

Last edited:
Two beers last night from @pilgrimhudd ;

First up, Coconut Stout -

20211105_205652.jpg

Didn't hit me at first but then you really taste the coconut in the finish. Against the chocolate notes it really was quite reminiscent of a Bounty! Towards the end of the glass (maybe as it warmed up?) I found the coconut started to get a bit much. Nice beer, interesting flavour combo - not something I'd rush to make myself but always impressive how unusual flavours can be incorporated into a beer 👍

Next up, Broadside Clone (sorry, forgot to take a pic 😕) - Quite a rich malty sweetness with some esters from the yeast. I enjoyed this but from memory I think I preferred the previous attempt (was about a year ago though so could be imagining it!)

Two beers last night from @pilgrimhudd ;

First up, Coconut Stout -

View attachment 57114
Didn't hit me at first but then you really taste the coconut in the finish. Against the chocolate notes it really was quite reminiscent of a Bounty! Towards the end of the glass (maybe as it warmed up?) I found the coconut started to get a bit much. Nice beer, interesting flavour combo - not something I'd rush to make myself but always impressive how unusual flavours can be incorporated into a beer 👍

Next up, Broadside Clone (sorry, forgot to take a pic 😕) - Quite a rich malty sweetness with some esters from the yeast. I enjoyed this but from memory I think I preferred the previous attempt (was about a year ago though so could be imagining it!)

Glad you liked them! Know what you mean about the coconut stout I will do it again, bit it's a novelty drink really. I was quite pleased with how coconutty it turned out. A question, did the head last, looks like you managed a bit of froth there, I haven't even managed that on mine!

As for the broadside, I cant remember the yeast I used but i wonder if i should have used something more neutral like 05 to accentuate the hops... I really like it though, i think more than the last version. I think this will end up my as one of my staples, perhaps I'd look to make it 5.5% though.

Glad you liked them! Know what you mean about the coconut stout I will do it again, bit it's a novelty drink really. I was quite pleased with how coconutty it turned out. A question, did the head last, looks like you managed a bit of froth there, I haven't even managed that on mine!

As for the broadside, I cant remember the yeast I used but i wonder if i should have used something more neutral like 05 to accentuate the hops... I really like it though, i think more than the last version. I think this will end up my as one of my staples, perhaps I'd look to make it 5.5% though.
I can't remember if the head on the stout later the whole glass but certainly the first third to half a pint.

According to your brewday thread I think you used M15 in the Broadside - I have a pack in the fridge but really not in a hurry to try it. I think I said this with the previous iteration but I would give M36 a whirl in this beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back