What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had planned a BBQ tonight but it's got a bit breezy and overcast now. Yesterday however was a scorcher !
Sunday is our BBQ and at the moment it’s looking good.
6CD3AD3C-7569-41DF-8AD5-DDBF774276F5.png

Next up is a 5.4% Belgian Pale from @dave_77

The beer is a slightly hazy golden colour with a small off white head. It’s also bottle conditioned so it’s possible I disturbed the sediment or didn’t give the beer long enough to clear.

49FDD665-D247-4D2A-9FD8-F329E8C9D23C.jpeg

The malt in the aroma is very subtle. Sweet Belgian esters are more dominant and really very nice, typically bubblegum and those foam banana sweets. There’s also something far more like berry-fruit in there, it’s quite fresh like redcurrants maybe. This is quite new for me, I don’t think I’ve ever had redcurrent in a beer.

The flavours are like the aroma but that redcurrant is more prominent and completely unexpected. It’s also ever so slightly acidic but not at all unpleasant.

Because it’s quite fruity and clean, the impression I’m getting is of a fairly light bodied beer but the slight tackiness on my lips tells me the attenuation was more moderate than high and perfectly balances that slightly acidic berry.

I love a beer that makes you think and this has my mind racing!

It must be Belgian night, bring out your Belgian brews...

This Belgian Blonde of mine is turning into something very enjoyable. I knew it would take a while and I'd consciously said to myself "wait until June".

It looks good, lighter than in the photo, darker than pale or golden ales, lighter than amber, so it hits the blonde sweet spot.

There's a spicy kick in the aroma that hovers above the honey and slight hint of banana.

Tastewise, alternate mouthfuls are giving me subtle banana or subtle clove, so I guess it is reasonably balanced. A rich and thick mouthfeel with a lingering spicy bitterness that wasn't there a couple of weeks back. This beer has developed and become more balanced and revealed more of what a good Belgian grain and hop bill can produce despite the lowly CML Belgian dried yeast. Really pleased with this.

Only criticism is the carbonation could be greater to hold a decent head.

It tastes like all of its 8.5% ABV.
rps20210527_181912.jpg

Nice line up
Was in Asda earlier and picked up some vocation life and death and noticed the brew dog elvis juice was down in abv to 5.1% it used to be 6.2% if I recall ??

just reread the post and seen you had to pour beer out. So sorry for your loss.
I was in the same Asda last weekend & grabbed a load of Punk. It was 5.4% but I thought Punk should be 5.6%.

I was in the same Asda last weekend & grabbed a load of Punk. It was 5.4% but I thought Punk should be 5.6%.
Starting to cut back on grain and hops do to maximise profit happens to all breweries and starts their downward slip into nothingness. Something brewdog “prides” itself on never doing apparently lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back