What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, looking at your figures using bag-in-Burco brewing, that efficiency is quite low.
Do you simple drain the mash bag and not rinse or sparge it at all?
It doesn't have to be sophisticated, just a few litres of held-back cooled off boiled water would easily give more gravity from that bag for you.
Or am I trying to teach you how to suck eggs? 😜 Sorry for butting in, if so.
I don't stress too much about numbers. General rule of thumb 4kg base malt = 4% abv 5kg = 5 % and so on. That's for an ale yeast. I am currently brewing a pale ale. The original gravity is what it is.

Great easy drinking pale from wiper and true...love this beer..Lemondrop hops underrated...I like
IMG_20231130_173443.jpg
IMG_20231130_173449.jpg

I don't stress too much about numbers. General rule of thumb 4kg base malt = 4% abv 5kg = 5 % and so on. That's for an ale yeast. I am currently brewing a pale ale. The original gravity is what it is.
A good rule of thumb. Like you, the gravity does come out how it wants to, and I work out the figures afterwards. 🍻👍

My brews exactly!
Do you use one of these clonal 30L machines too? Works a treat.
Hopcat (mine, but modified a little) , Ace,Guten,Klarstein, Angelbrew,
Brewdevil, Brewmonk.
Or something completely different.
I really only posted about Gallons to help others.
I have seen some confused Imperial unit based users wondering why their worts OG's come out so low using US recipes. 🤔
Nothing quite so fancy. Just a 35L boiler and BIAB method. I've been thinking about upping my game and investing in an all in one but I need to do my research. There are a good few to choose from and whilst they all seem kind of similar, I'm sure there are pros and cons with all of them. Definitely want a whirlpool function and at least 40L capacity.

Was looking at the dark farm systems but they start at £800. They look the nuts but I am not sure all that extra money would necessarily transform my brews exponentially.

Nothing quite so fancy. Just a 35L boiler and BIAB method. I've been thinking about upping my game and investing in an all in one but I need to do my research. There are a good few to choose from and whilst they all seem kind of similar, I'm sure there are pros and cons with all of them. Definitely want a whirlpool function and at least 40L capacity.

Was looking at the dark farm systems but they start at £800. They look the nuts but I am not sure all that extra money would necessarily transform my brews exponentially.
Whatever you decide on, have an external connection to feed the pump.
Just makes it far more versatile: sparging, transferring etc.
I modified mine in-situ, but even better would be an entirely external pump setup which aids cleaning and blockage clearing.
All the best.

How did you chose the hops ?

I've been wondering about hops recently, in particular someone on here (sorry can't remember who) said three is the magic number and on an MM video they were talking about one hop acting as a catalyst for another, enhancing its flavour.

Most (if not all) of the things I've read about hops talks about them in isolation. I'm wondering if there is a resource somewhere (or maybe we should create a thread on here for it) along the lines of :-

HOP COMBINATION USE FOR WHY IT WORKS
Mosaic, Centennial and Citra Pale ale Centennial rounds out the Citra
Fuggles, First Gold English Ale First Gold and Fuggles compliment each other
Willamette, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles IPA Styrian enhances the fruitiness of Willamette

(I've made up the why it works column)

I realise all combinations are valid in some form but this would be based on experience.
It might have been me that said three hops work best, it was a very small scale experiment where I combined four different hops in different combinations and proportions. The unexpected result was that all the tests with a combination of three hops scored more highly based on a simple preference score.

Guest beer time, hoppy Belgian pale kindly sent by @dave_77.
I thought it had a bit of a haze when I poured it, turned out it was condensation! Hugh noble hop aroma on pouring, with a bit of pepper and spice. It’s deliciously dry and crisp; sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery yeast flavours all compete for prominence, none win. Great beer, it was gone in a shot. Thanks for sharing it!

IMG_2605.jpeg

Guest beer time, hoppy Belgian pale kindly sent by @dave_77.
I thought it had a bit of a haze when I poured it, turned out it was condensation! Hugh noble hop aroma on pouring, with a bit of pepper and spice. It’s deliciously dry and crisp; sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery yeast flavours all compete for prominence, none win. Great beer, it was gone in a shot. Thanks for sharing it!

View attachment 92534
Cheers mate, just had a pint myself trying to cheer myself up after a pants performance although ⚒️ did win just....
The keg must be on its way as it's crystal clear now .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back