What are you drinking tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironic eh?

Stephen Hawking dies on my birthday, which was Einsteins Birthdate and Pi Day! It makes my birthday a really insignificant event eh? :wave:

In a lecture one day a Student asked me "What is Pi?" so I responded with the standard "3.142 or 22 over 7 if you are using fractions." to which he replied "I know that, but what exactly is Pi?"

It took me a whole weekend to work out what Pi actually is 'cos no-one had ever told me, I had never asked and there was no internet available in those days. Enjoy working it out if you don't already know! :wave:

Best regards. :thumb:

Dude, it's in the Bible. Check verse 23: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+7&version=AKJV

"ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it wasround all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about." It's the ratio of circumference and diameter.

Ah! You just wanted the bottle. I do the same with the 660 punk ipa bottles, also have a few 1 litre swing tops and a couple of small growlers. The impy sounds good mate hope it turns out well.

Here it is. Just a 330ml tonight! Tasty, the cacao nibs don’t come through that strongly but the bourbon and wood are definitely there. Pretty happy with it all things considered.

Attachments

• 32286DA2-6D3B-4301-AB06-176815BC7E3C.jpeg
    32286DA2-6D3B-4301-AB06-176815BC7E3C.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 75
McEwans Champion ale is my all time favourite bottled beer.

:thumb::thumb: it was my goto supermarket bottled beer at 7.3% before I discovered belgian beer and started brewing my own!

I should get one in for old times sake... :Cheers:

tonight is a bottle of prosecco :tinhat: a king kong and a stone ipa... the king kong is now WHOA! Got to share that big boy!

It’s the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, but then you knew that!

:thumb:

Nearly there.

It's actually the ratio between a square and the largest circle that can be fitted inside it. The "taper" where the circle gets towards the edge of the square is the reason why the figure for Pi goes to infinity. i.e. it can never be measured so that the two lines touch each other. Back in Solomon's day Pi = 3 when I went to school it was refined down to 3.142 for classroom calculations but there was a book with the next 5,000 decimal points in it. It was (and still is) the most boring book in the world! It starts off Pi is 3.14 ..... and then goes on for the next 100 pages!

If you replicate all the circle and sphere formulas but replace the "3.142" with the figure 4 they are all relevant for square circumferences, square areas and cube volumes. i.e. Circumference = πD so a 2cm x 2cm square has a circumference of 2 x 4 = 8cm.

Easy right? Now try explaining it to a group where English is their second language! :headbang: :headbang:

Happy Days! :thumb:

Birra Moretti

Working away MK and London this week.
Surprisingly nice pale Lager !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumb::thumb: it was my goto supermarket bottled beer at 7.3% before I discovered belgian beer and started brewing my own!

I should get one in for old times sake... :Cheers:

tonight is a bottle of prosecco :tinhat: a king kong and a stone ipa... the king kong is now WHOA! Got to share that big boy!
Go on then DOJ I'll share one with you mate, if it's anything like your Risky business it's Gona be a winner.

It took me a whole weekend to work out what Pi actually is 'cos no-one had ever told me, I had never asked and there was no internet available in those days. Enjoy working it out if you don't already know!

I would suggest having a read of Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh - a maths book but easy to read and really interesting. It was the first time I'd really understood what it meant to "prove" something and taught me just how elegant maths is.

Rochefort 8 otherwise.

Finished work for a week and a day tonight so I’m sadly drinking my last bottle of APA.

.......... Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh ......

There's a Kindle version so when I get back to France (where I left my Kindle last November) I'll get it.

BTW, last night I remembered how I proved the 3.142 link between a square and a circle fitted within it. :thumb:

Draw a square with 20 units down one side and 20 units down the other (to give 400 small squares) then draw a circle within the square and count how many small squares are within the circle. The figure will come to +/- 314. 400÷314 = 1.274

Draw a larger square with sides comprising 40 x 40 units to give a total of 1,600 small squares) then draw a circle within the square and count how many small squares are within the circle. The figure will come to +/- 1,256. 1,600 ÷ 1256 = 1.274

No matter how big a square you draw the area of the circle that can be drawn within it will always be the area of the square divided by 1.274 and at it simplest level (i.e. within a large square that contains just four smaller squares) then 4 ÷ 1.274 = 3.14 or π (as it was named by William Jones in 1706).

I would suggest having a read of Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh - a maths book but easy to read and really interesting. It was the first time I'd really understood what it meant to "prove" something and taught me just how elegant maths is.

Rochefort 8 otherwise.
The Horizon episode it was based upon was good too. Hafway nineties if I am not mistaken.

There's a Kindle version so when I get back to France (where I left my Kindle last November) I'll get it.

BTW, last night I remembered how I proved the 3.142 link between a square and a circle fitted within it. :thumb:

Draw a square with 20 units down one side and 20 units down the other (to give 400 small squares) then draw a circle within the square and count how many small squares are within the circle. The figure will come to +/- 314. 400÷314 = 1.274

Draw a larger square with sides comprising 40 x 40 units to give a total of 1,600 small squares) then draw a circle within the square and count how many small squares are within the circle. The figure will come to +/- 1,256. 1,600 ÷ 1256 = 1.274

No matter how big a square you draw the area of the circle that can be drawn within it will always be the area of the square divided by 1.274 and at it simplest level (i.e. within a large square that contains just four smaller squares) then 4 ÷ 1.274 = 3.14 or π (as it was named by William Jones in 1706).

Yep, that’s how they worked out the value. But it is DEFINED as the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of the circle :Cheers:

Yep, that’s how they worked out the value. But it is DEFINED as the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of the circle :Cheers:

My original Post was ...

In a lecture one day a Student asked me "What is Pi?" so I responded with the standard "3.142 or 22 over 7 if you are using fractions." to which he replied "I know that, but what exactly is Pi?"

It is the relationship between a square and the circle that can be drawn within it.

The fact that it has been defined within itself (C ÷ R) and given a modern name doesn't change the fact that all of the original formulas were used to calculate the area of squares and the volumes and areas of cubes.

Archimedes (who died in 212BC) proved the formula for the area of a circle (A = πr2, where r is the radius of the circle) and showed that the value of π lay between 3 + 1/7 (approximately 3.1429) and 3 + 10/71 (approximately 3.1408). But it took until 1882 to prove that π was an infinite number.

I can only assume that Archimedes didn't have available the graph paper that was thrown on my desk back in 1957 with the instructions to draw a square using a thin pencil, then draw a circle within it using a sharpened pencil and a compass; and then start counting.

We only needed to count one quarter of the circle and then multiply it by 4 and at the edge of the circle some of the small squares had to be estimated and then added to others in order to get the whole numbers that we needed.

The good news was that every kid in the room managed to get a ratio of somewhere about 1.25 which gave π = +/- 3.2. It wasn't quite as accurate as Archimedes had achieved 2,100 odd years before, but I doubt if he was expected to do it when he was 14 years old! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back