What are you reading ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently redding The Drunken Botanist by Amy Steward, which I'd almost call perfect reading material for a homebrewer or for someone who likes to experiment with botanical concoctions.
550x740.jpg

I like all kinds of different genres of books, both fiction and non-fiction. However there are 2 books I keep returning to. The first one being one of the few standalone wargames by Tom Clancy: Red Storm Rising.
And the second one: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
1421056108.0.x.jpg

0517226952.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As I see quite a few posts referring to SWMBO, I decided to reread She by H Rider Haggard. Not a light read but a ripping yarn nonetheless.

I like all kinds of different genres of books, both fiction and non-fiction. However there are 2 books I keep returning to. The first one being one of the few standalone wargames by Tom Clancy: Red Storm Rising.
If you enjoyed Red Storm Rising, check out Mark Greaney's book "Red Metal." The focus is a limited war between Russian and NATO. There's even an armored train that makes an appearance much like the one being used in Ukraine right now. "An armored train!? How preposterous."

Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Holiday reading, never seem to find the time to read as much as I'd like the rest of the year but always promise myself to cut out the mindless TV when I get home.

Norwegian wood - Haruki Murakami.
Set in late 60's Japan with themes of growing up, evolving friendships, death and loss, popular culture of the period.
A fascinating insight into an ordered and historically closed but evolving society

Granta book of American short stories.
Been dipping into this for a while, finishing off ones I've missed.
Some classic authors, mainly 50's and 60's - Kurt Vonnegut, James Baldwin,
Raymond Carver and John Updike amongst others.

And away - Bob Mortimer
Easy and enjoyable read. From early childhood in Middlesborough, life as a solicitor and falling in to comedy career.
Also chronicling his heart bypass and heath problems with fishing as a means of escapist recuperation.

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Just started this, a tough warts and all account of Americas westward expansion and the bloody conflicts on Texan/Mexican border.
Not a light read according to my wife but
redrawing some popular cultural narratives of that period.

Holiday reading, never seem to find the time to read as much as I'd like the rest of the year but always promise myself to cut out the mindless TV when I get home.

Norwegian wood - Haruki Murakami.
Set in late 60's Japan with themes of growing up, evolving friendships, death and loss, popular culture of the period.
A fascinating insight into an ordered and historically closed but evolving society

Granta book of American short stories.
Been dipping into this for a while, finishing off ones I've missed.
Some classic authors, mainly 50's and 60's - Kurt Vonnegut, James Baldwin,
Raymond Carver and John Updike amongst others.

And away - Bob Mortimer
Easy and enjoyable read. From early childhood in Middlesborough, life as a solicitor and falling in to comedy career.
Also chronicling his heart bypass and heath problems with fishing as a means of escapist recuperation.

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Just started this, a tough warts and all account of Americas westward expansion and the bloody conflicts on Texan/Mexican border.
Not a light read according to my wife but
redrawing some popular cultural narratives of that period.

That last one sounds like a good read.

I'm currently reading ' A great and glorious adventure' by Gordon Corrigan all about the 100 years war, again, not a light read but it's fast enough paced to keep you going.

That last one sounds like a good read.

I'm currently reading ' A great and glorious adventure' by Gordon Corrigan all about the 100 years war, again, not a light read but it's fast enough paced to keep you going.
Yeh I'm really getting into it, I've always loved American history and literature.
Quite similar to Steinbeck though characters don't have any internal dialogue to speak off. It's the description of the landscape and anarchic frontier life that draws you in.

Just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks which was grim but good.
Currently have How to stop time by Matt Haig as my train book, jury is still out at third way through.
Then Under the dome by Stephen king as my bedtime read which has been great.
Next up Klara and the sun by Kazuo Ishiguro which was highly recommended by a friend

I found Klara and The Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro a bit of a let down tbh. I had loved The Remains of the Day, but Klara didn't quite do it for me. Just started (well, part way through) Luna : New Moon, firt in the Luna series by Ian McDonald, following a glowing review I read on line. Pretty good so far - intricately plotted Byzantine-like power struggles in a decadent post-capitalist Lunar context.

Just finished 'Catcher in the Rye' very underwhelming. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Thankfully it was short.

Reading Michael Crichton's Sphere. So far so good. Crichton's books are a pretty easy read.

Bone China by Laura Purcell.

Love a gothic horror I do. I think she does a cracking job with her stories.

Read the Ukridge stories by PG Wodehouse.
A Quotation from the book with Corky (the narrator) talking to Battling Billson, who was temporarily under the influence of a temperance preacher:

“ ’R!” said Mr. Billson. He frowned. “Beer,” he proceeded, with cold austerity, “ain’t right. Sinful, that’s what beer is. It stingeth like a serpent and biteth like a ruddy adder.”
My mouth watered a little. Beer like that was what I had been scouring the country for for years.”

Excerpt From: P. G. Wodehouse. “Ukridge Stories”. Apple Books.

Latest posts

Back