What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dark IPA... if that's not a contradiction of statements. Golden promise / bohemian pilsner / dark crystal malt with Amerillo hops. Now fermenting nicely....plan to dry hop with more Amerillo.
20220414_071900.jpg
20220414_071900.jpg

Can you share the recipe, nice colour
Here you are, this one has been through a few iterations. I'd too much carapils in the first brews, and the dry hop has been scrapped in favour of a bigger hopstand. I had wanted to call it 'The Sesh Mia Farrow Wore' in honour of a joke told to me by another Derry man quite a few years ago, but my wife wouldn't let me.

Attachments

• On The Sesh - 2.0.pdf
    865.2 KB · Views: 64
What recipe did you settle on in the end?

Grains as yours, and hops as per the suggestions I made on the thread. I'm doing a 2--3 hour hopstand, but at 60 deg -ish temp with 20 g Columbus and 20 g Chinook (batch size exactly half yours). I probably won't bother with the dry-hopping.

Grains as yours, and hops as per the suggestions I made on the thread. I'm doing a 2--3 hour hopstand, but at 60 deg -ish temp with 20 g Columbus and 20 g Chinook (batch size exactly half yours). I probably won't bother with the dry-hopping.
Sounds excellent, I‘ve dropped the dry hop in favour of a solid hop stand on the last couple of brews. If todays turns out as well as the last time I brewed it, it’ll be hard to justify going back. That being said, I’ve still got the Pliny clone haunting me👻👻. I really need to get that monkey off my back.

AG#33 apparently

Like the best laid plans, my brewing schedule has gone awry recently for one mundane reason or another.

Today's brew was slightly spur of the moment as a window opened up this morning to get a mash on.

A variation of my usual APA. No Vienna this time, just Best Pale Malt and a bit of Carapils. Cashmere Single Hop. Verdant IPA as that is all I have in the fridge. Aiming for about 4.7% and 37 IBUs with a hefty late addition and then a short dry hop.

AG#33 apparently

Like the best laid plans, my brewing schedule has gone awry recently for one mundane reason or another.

Today's brew was slightly spur of the moment as a window opened up this morning to get a mash on.

A variation of my usual APA. No Vienna this time, just Best Pale Malt and a bit of Carapils. Cashmere Single Hop. Verdant IPA as that is all I have in the fridge. Aiming for about 4.7% and 37 IBUs with a hefty late addition and then a short dry hop.
20220415_115541.jpg

Overshot again on OG but no major drama. Lovely sunny day and time for a...
20220415_113059.jpg

Going for a “short and shoddy” fruit Berliner Weisse/ Catharina Sour.

No sparge, 30min boil, I’m considering going No Chill.

1.5kg Pilsner malt
1.5kg wheat malt

65C mash whilst I’m at the gym.

2g Magnum for 30mins

Using Lallemand Philly Sour for the first time and I’ll add 1kg of Leonce Blanc raspberry purée after a week in the FV.

Last edited:
Going for a “short and shoddy” fruit Berliner Weisse/ Catharina Sour.

No sparge, 30min boil, I’m considering going No Chill.

1.5kg Pilsner malt
1.5kg wheat malt

65C mash whilst I’m at the gym.

2g Magnum for 30mins

Using Lallemand Philly Sour for the first time and I’ll add 1kg of Leonce Blanc raspberry purée after a week in the FV.
I’ve never tried no chill but isn’t the cold break a very useful part of the brewing process?

I’ve never tried no chill but isn’t the cold break a very useful part of the brewing process?
Less vital than a lot of sources claim. It’s very popular in Australia I believe. I used to do it fairly regularly when my kids were very small to cut some time from my brew day (and also when my second hand immersion chiller snapped), but only if I was doing a malt forward style. I generally do prefer to chill though, I just thought if I was “no sparging” and doing a 30min boil if May as well go the whole hog and no-chill too.

It is supposedly good for the yeast, but only a small amount is needed, if any. Cold break will always get into the fermenter, just doesn't appear until the temperature has dropped right down. 15C

Decided sod it time to brew a Saison not a particularly complicated grain bill 2 KG of Pilsner and 100g Carapils. Hops are 10g of Aurora at the 60 Minute and 10g each of Saaz and Aurora for the last five minutes.

Batch size is 9L and I am fermenting with CML Wallonia all being well should be a nice 5% or so Saison for drinking in the garden.

I over estimated the boil off on my Saison so as it looks like I will have 11 L decided to add 268g (I free poured from the jar) of honey. Might be a disaster but the nice thing about Saison is it’s really cheap to make so while I am hoping for something good I won’t be too annoyed of it fails. On the subject of the honey my parents keep bees so the cost of the honey to me personally was zero.

Latest posts

Back