What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tragically this was my first brew on the GF this year, must get back into the swing of things.

Brewed a Greg Hughes Amarillo single hop and is now tucked away for 2 weeks. Just shy of 200g of Amarillo which i haven't used before so should be interesting!

Plan to do an El Dorado smash once this one is in the bottles.

mangrove jacks grapefruit ipa (almost to specs - apart from brewing short rehydrating and 1.5kg not 1.2kg of fermentables) :nod:

The sample jar and smell from the fv were very good. :thumb:

Works rules meant I had one holiday to take by the end of March so spent it productively.

Did the belgium quad recipe featured on page 1 here - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/strange-steves-homebrew-reviews.67725/#post-640517
Scaled up the recipe slightly and chuffed to get the SG spot on. I fear it may be a beast, last time I made something this strong it made a good attempt at colonising the house.

Also did an Anchor Steam(ish) concoction. May or may not be true to style...

Treacle stout today. Used a slight variation of a Coopers recipe and one that terrym mentioned in a Wilko stout thread.

1 Coopers Stout tin
1kg DSM
425kg dextrose
175g treacle
Coopers kit yeast
Muntons Gold yeast
OG 1.052

Just finished my bottling...I must report that the stout based on the gh dry stout recipe with brambling cross hops and cml ale yeast smells fantastic and tastes quite delicious! This is a winner! Anyhow....a bottle of my porter to finish off...

Brew underway....exmoor gold..ish from gw book....
4.6 kg as recipe plus 160g wheat and 118g carapils I had leftovers.
Hops...
Challenger, EKG and fuggles subbed for styrian golding.
CML real ale yeast

Wheat beer for me. 50% way pale and wheat, little bit of acid malt for ph adjustment. WLP300 starter went bonkers yesterday so hopefully should be good. Mash on!

20180406_163115.jpg
all done...23 litre to fv with og of 1050.

Bottled 14 liters and a bit of German Polaris Ale. Not spectacular, but one in a row of several single-hop brews (a la Greg Hughes). Next on the list is a Styrian Goldings ale, with CML US Pale Ale yeast. Next week perhaps. Not tomorrow. Got classes to prepare.

Attachments

• 20180406_175915_HDR.jpg
    20180406_175915_HDR.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180406_175904_HDR.jpg
    20180406_175904_HDR.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 72
  • 20180405_204018_HDR.jpg
    20180405_204018_HDR.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 69
Did something like the Batemans XXXB from Wheeler last night:

MO 0.86kg
Crystal 0.09kg
Torrified Wheat 0.03kg
Golden Syrup 0.22kg

Challenger 6g @ 60
Goldings 6g @ 60
Goldings 3g @ 15

CML Real Ale yeast

Full volume BIAB, 60 min mash with bag squeeze, 60 min boil. The Goldings were leaf which was a first for me. Hit the 1.054 OG spot on, sample jar tasted good.

Brakspear Bitter from Wheeler today:

MO 0.89kg
Black 0.01kg
Crystal 0.08kg
Golden Syrup 0.06kg

Fuggles 9g @ 60
Goldings 5g @ 60
Goldings 2g @ 15

CML Real Ale yeast

Full volume BIAB, 60 min mash with bag squeeze, 60 min boil. Missed the OG by a country mile, numbers suggested an efficiency of 55%. Not sure what went wrong so am going to have a ponder, hopefully it will get down low enough to leave me with something around 3.4%.

Looking at the one I did yesterday the CML Real Ale yeast goes off like a train so I could probably have done with leaving a bit more headspace on this one, have a feeling I'll be doing some clean up in the morning.

Bottled my Kolsch today. FG was 1.008, no idea what my SG was because I broke my hydrometer when I bottled my previous brew and had forgotten about it until brewday.

2MKs, 15 500ml bottles and a 2L growler.

Today I brewed the Belgian Dubbel from James Morton's book, using slurry from my previous brew (which was a Belgian Golden Ale, using WLP530). The yeast starter I made smells absolutely amazing.

Once bottled, I will be laying this brew away for at least 6 months aging.

Started my first AG brew last night, based on the "Have a go at simple AG" thread with some tweaks courtesy of the Brulosophy guys.
My father in law bought me 3 x 1kg bags of Golden Promise malt, thinking it was DME, so I decided to have a go at a simple 10L AG bitter.
This brew was all about simplicity, so I chose the BIAB method (I already have all the kit from doing extract brews).
I mashed overnight and got up early this morning before the hordes descended on the kitchen. After a cold dunk sparge the 30 minute boil/hop additions went as planned.
Spot on with the OG, added Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast, then in to the brew fridge at 21C.
It all went surprisingly easy, with no cock-ups, however the proof of the brew is in the drinking.....so we'll see in a couple of weeks.
I may post photos and recipe if anyone's interested :laugh8:

Just finished bottling a 3 gallon extract kit of Dead Ringer i.p.a (a.k.a. Bells's Two Hearted). FG only came down to 1.018 (from 1.060), but it tasted superb. Thirty six small bottles carbing away in the brewfridge. I've got one more batch (Victory clone) to bottle this week before I'm off to Sicily for a week.

Back