What food would you never eat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting thoughts here, as to ‘never’ eat. I agree with the comments about Surströmming, and would add Puffer fish, since there’s no point risking my life for the sake of eating something.
Unfortunately, I will generally eat anything that isn’t toxic ie likely to cause a harmful physiological reaction, I’d quite like to be more fussy as it might help my waistline!
Love the avatar change. For some reason it makes me think of Holly in Red Dwarf. thumb.

Love the avatar change. For some reason it makes me think of Holly in Red Dwarf. thumb.
😂 I’ll take that as a compliment- it’s the avatar I use for Teams meetings at work - I’ve had senior colleague refer to it as quirky, and ‘cute’ ….not entirely sure those are good things!
1670626238615.png

I don't think there is an ingredient I won't try, but I think the main thing is how the ingredient is prepared and cooked

I love liver, but if you boil it for half a day in thin onion gravy with some crappy Richmond sausage (yes, looking at you mum!), Then it won't be going anywhere near my mouth! Blurgh. Pan fry it in some butter with pancetta and a good dose of pepper, I'll be fighting my way to the kitchen.

More outlandish and foreign stuff like bugs etc, well I wouldn't chow down on a raw cricket bush tucker style, but if it was cooked properly in to a decent meal that suits the flavour and texture I would definitely eat it.
Same goes for fermented fish, apparently it's usually eaten in very small portions in a flatbread wrap along with waxy potatoes, sour cream, red onion, chives and dill. layer up those flavour attributes and it sounds like a balanced profile.

Whale.

I was in northern Norway and the owner of the local restaurant came over one evening and said "you must come back later in the week, we have a whale coming in". And it did, my friend had it as a one-off but not me. The cured Reindeer was much more to my liking.

Whale.

I was in northern Norway and the owner of the local restaurant came over one evening and said "you must come back later in the week, we have a whale coming in". And it did, my friend had it as a one-off but not me. The cured Reindeer was much more to my liking.
What was up with the Reindeer?

As I've gotten older I'll try most foods bit don't necessarily like everything. Mussels for example I was keen to try but ended up hating them

Blue cheeses are one I thought I'd never eat as the smell is not good, but Stilton sauce with steak or blue cheese on crackers with wine, port or a strong beer - fantastic

I don't like the taste of organs like kidney but it sounds as though having it less well cooked is the way to go which I've never had done that way.

Chitlins?

As I've gotten older I'll try most foods bit don't necessarily like everything. Mussels for example I was keen to try but ended up hating them

Blue cheeses are one I thought I'd never eat as the smell is not good, but Stilton sauce with steak or blue cheese on crackers with wine, port or a strong beer - fantastic

I don't like the taste of organs like kidney but it sounds as though having it less well cooked is the way to go which I've never had done that way.

Chitlins?
Blue cheese in a no for me but liver and onions yum and mussels avec frites is planned for tonight’s dinner as it’s a specialty here

Cucumber - I find the taste and smell of it vomit inducing. If anything has been in contact with it I can detect it too. It's the devils work.

My 2 boys weirdly love it - hmm, paternity test required.

Latest posts

Back