What S/C Ratio's have you brewed with??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my third attempt at a NEIPA I used RO water with only calcium chloride added, so about 100ppm chloride and no sulphate because I wanted to see if that reduced the slight harshness I perceived in the previous efforts. It did work, and the mouthfeel was definitely softer, but I have to agree with @dan125 that low overall mineral content can cause the beer to be a tad bland, as was the case for this beer. I've abandoned NEIPAs for now because I've not been happy with any of mine, and they aren't exactly cheap to brew. @stigman has nailed it though, his was fantastic and just look at that little beauty...
IitQUlL.jpg

Last edited:
Ooo yeah I hadn't looked very hard at the beersmith profile. My tap water has slightly higher alkalinity than yours and that's why I started diluting - I had to add so much AMS to bring it down that I couldn't hit the s/c ratio I wanted without a really high total mineral ppm.

I don’t know how 175 had got into the HC03 box. My alkalinity is 145ppm taken from a salifert test at 8.15kh.

I’ve not had any real problems with pale beers before and even though my last NEIPA is disappointing and not at the level I wanted it. I thought I was quite happy with mineral additions to that water to get the profile I wanted. Even though I over diluted it

Not unless @strangesteve can say otherwise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my third attempt at a NEIPA I used RO water with only calcium chloride added, so about 100ppm chloride and no sulphate because I wanted to see if that reduced the slight harshness I perceived in the previous efforts. It did work, and the mouthfeel was definitely softer, but I have to agree with @dan125 that low overall mineral content can cause the beer to be a tad bland, as was the case for this beer. I've abandoned NEIPAs for now because I've not been happy with any of mine, and they aren't exactly cheap to brew. @stigman has nailed it though, his was fantastic and just look at that little beauty...
IitQUlL.jpg

I’m with you on this one. Back to the drawing board on this style while I work on and brew some other beers/styles.

@stigman can you share what source water and water profile additions you used for this beauty?
My water is pretty low in everything
Ca=9. Mg=2 cl=10.6 so4=38.6 Na=13.5 Alk=9
I don't know how to work out the ratios (I didn't listen much in maths class) but this was my adjusted water.
DSC_0989.JPG

I'm not sure if this was key to this beer though I think it was the 500g of Citra in the dry hop additions.

Latest posts

Back