What to use instead of mashing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogmore

Reaction score
Hi All

First time poster here.

I have just made an all grain kit of beer after using tin Kits before, and was wondering what I can use to bypass the temperature controlled Mashing, I found it a real pain in the butt.

I got a kit the "Hawkshead All Grain Lakeland Gold Golden Ale Beer Starter Kit" as I didn't have all the equipment I needed. The mashing is the bit I want to avoid next time.

I don't mind the boiling part with the hops but the mashing made me feel very nervous and I almost burnt my hand while sparging, I think that's the right term, yeah I'm a noob. :lol:

I know it will affect the taste of the beer, hopefully not too much, but I want to brew 1 gallon batches and all the tins kits I see are 5 gallon.

I wanted to get more involved with the brewing process and not just empty packets and tins into a fermenting bin but I need some middle ground where I can adjust the taste before probably going back to all grain in the future.

I don't know that much about brewing but from what I have seen I can use DME or LME and was wondering if there's anything else.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Tim.

PS Has anyone tried these? http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-starter-kits/victors-peach-and-blood-orange-cider-20-pint/invt/0440200

Like chewie says, you may want to go the extract route, where use use DME/LME plus steeped grains. But be aware not all grains can be steeped and need to be mashed so you'll limit yourself a bit. But you can still make great beer. You could use extract brewing as an intermediate stage before moving onto all grain.

If all that's stopping you from going to all grain is burning your hands when sparging just wear marigolds :mrgreen:

Welcome & well done for your 1st AG brew.
If you want to avoid mashing you'll need to use dried or liquid malt extract as chewie says.
But I'm not sure why the mashing part was so tough? Once up to temp and the grains are in just turn off the heat, insulate and leave it for 60-90 mins (with maybe the occasional stir).
Sparging isn't necessary and many BIAB brewers don't both with it, but you'll probably need to use slightly more grains as efficiency is likely to be a bit lower without sparging.

Never tried the kit in the link, but I'd be willing to bet my beer stash that it wouldn't be ready to drink in 48hrs like it says on the box.

:cheers:

If you want to have a go at extract brewing send me a PM and I'll send you a couple of recipes for 16 litres light bitter based on Holland & Barrett malt extract (yes that's right H&B). I do mine in a 5litre pot and a 3 litre pot.
Failing that there are loads of recipes on tinterweb you can adopt/use, like this one
http://beerandwinejournal.com/15-minute-pale-ale/

maybe if you explain your process,we and why you found it difficult,we might be able to offer some guidance.as Dan125 says ,reach temp and wrap it up, i used a big towel,well done for jumping in and trying the grains :thumb:

Sounds like you want to research out extract brewing.
That's the kind of thing I was looking for, I had no idea what it was called.

The instructions I had didn't mention anything about insulating the mash container, it seems much easier than the way the instructions told me. I think it's more the time involved in the way the booklet said. I was worried about going outside the Mashing temperature range.

I have some bags to use for BIAB, I used them for the latest brew during the boil. I have only just put the latest one into a fermenter.

As I said I want to make 1 or 2 gallons maximum then maybe scale it up if it's good. I also have money constraints so that's another reason for limited volumes.

Thanks for the 15 minute link.

Welcome. You are brave to go all grain well done for the leap-straight from kits:thumb:
Don't give up on all grain, the quality of your beer will be a class above & in time you will refine the process & it'll be a walk in the park:thumb:
In the mean time if you want to get a little more creative you could do partial mash brews use dried or liquid unhopped maltwhatever colour light medium or dark steep a few speciality grains separately adding the licqure crystal malt etc,& boil with hops to your liking. One gallon batches are perfect for this method as you will be boiling the full volume not a concentrated wort & adding water later if you do a full 5 gallon batch I would allways advocate boiling the full volume if you have the capacity, boilovers are very common with concentrated wort casing a hell of a mess, which is far more hassle than an all grain brew.
Good luck:thumb:

I just had my first bottle of my first all grain brew, even after just two weeks in the bottle it's great, comparable to a Commercial Craft Ale. I thought I'd messed it up but it is good. I'm gonna leave the rest for the sediment to compact and it will only get better.

Can anyone recommend another light ale or IPA all grain kit, I'll try the one hour and blankets trick next time. I would want a 1 gallon kit as I don't have the equipment for 5 gallons. Some on the site below are £3-4

One more thing, the boiling of the kit didn't remove much volume so I ended up with about 6.5-7 litres and needed to use 2 containers, a demijohn and a gallon brewing bucket and the demijohn took a week longer to finish fermenting, they were in the same place, is this normal? I know the alcohol % would be lower so I added some extra granulated sugar.

Also has anyone used this site to buy stuff. http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/

I just had my first bottle of my first all grain brew, even after just two weeks in the bottle it's great, comparable to a Commercial Craft Ale. I thought I'd messed it up but it is good. I'm gonna leave the rest for the sediment to compact and it will only get better.

Can anyone recommend another light ale or IPA all grain kit, I'll try the one hour and blankets trick next time. I would want a 1 gallon kit as I don't have the equipment for 5 gallons. Some on the site below are �£3-4

One more thing, the boiling of the kit didn't remove much volume so I ended up with about 6.5-7 litres and needed to use 2 containers, a demijohn and a gallon brewing bucket and the demijohn took a week longer to finish fermenting, they were in the same place, is this normal? I know the alcohol % would be lower so I added some extra granulated sugar.

Also has anyone used this site to buy stuff. http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/

The Malt Miller is highly recommended - I buy most of my stuff from them & the service is excellent.
I can recommend the ' Dennis King's Galaxy Delight' kit.

I'm not sure why your containers fermented at different speeds - did you give them both the same amount of yeast?
Now you have a good idea of how much over you finished with the volume you can adjust how much water you start with next time.
You can always water it down if you over compensate and your final volume is a touch low.

The Malt Miller is highly recommended - I buy most of my stuff from them & the service is excellent.
I can recommend the ' Dennis King's Galaxy Delight' kit.
Hey I'm back again, I was wondering which yeast to use as the recipe doesn't list one. Thanks for the recommendation.

I was thinking of a SAFALE S-04

Hey I'm back again, I was wondering which yeast to use as the recipe doesn't list one. Thanks for the recommendation.

I was thinking of a SAFALE S-04

If you buy the Malt miller recipe pack (rather than the version that someone has put together in the 'my recipes' section) - see link below - it comes with West Coast ale yeast, which is more neutral than S-04 and will let the lovely Galaxy hops shine

http://themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=581

ok thanks I did a search for the name and it came up with something a bit different, I'll try that one, thanks again. A nice price for a 23 litre kit.

Btw I had some more of my hawkshead and it gets even better with age. Really hoppy and a nice aftertaste.

Just one question, I only have a 12 litre stock pot can I short brew it then make the rest up in the fermentation vessel for a 23l kit? I know it's probably bad but I only have one ring to boil it on.

Back