What would the ultimate brew machine/set up be?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ale

Reaction score
I've just started AG brewing with the thought I could move onto a GF, Ace, or other machine on the market, but have had the thought that these are just one pot designs to save on space and cost for mass production at the best profit margins. Which leads to, what would the perfect set up be.

Im thinking that with the help of a control engineer (I know theres one on here, I saw it in a post) woud it be possible to build better and what would the set up be?

My thoughts are one of those taps that can dispense hot water up to boiling point with the temperature properly controlled. This would be set up to pour directly into the mash tun. The sensor for the temperature would be in the mach tun so you always hit exactly the mash temperature you want. Maybe with a paddle or circulation pump built in to mix the water as it goes in for even temperature. After the mash has finished a valve would be opened to allow the mash wort to drain off into the boil vessel and then close again. the controller would then fill the mash tun withe the programmed amount of sparge water and circulate with the paddle/pump. After sparge had finished the valve would open again and mix it into the boil vessel for the full boil volume. The boil would then start automatically with preset alarms (to your phone maybe?) for hop additions. Once finished an automated counter flow wort chiller would start to cool the wort to the pre-programmed temperature ready to go in the FV.

The only manual bit would be adding the grain and then adding the hops....and cleaning it. That wuld have to worth £1000 or more wouldnt it?

You've pretty much described a braumeister which costs about 1300.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Stop being a tight **** and buy yourself a one pot system.

Surely you mean lazy ****. Im thinking I might wait a bit longer so I can get the Braumeister so I can be a lazy ****. Tight **** is off the mark. :whistle:

Stop being a tight **** and buy yourself a one pot system.

Thanks for that. I never knew why it cost so much more. As I've got other things on my shopping list before I would be prepared to spend that much on a brew machine I'll put in on hold for a few months to see if my new job will make it feasible to spend that much or whether I should just get an Ace or similar.

My shopping list includes getting my and my wifes second car repaired (Ford Focus Convertible) at £1600 for an engine rebuild and more for a new catalytic converter, a motorbike and direct access course, a fishing boat, a new bathroom and kitchen. Im hoping to do them all within the next year.

It's well worth the money in my view. The build quality is absolutely incredible.

If you like continental styles then the automated step mashing in particular is amazing. That's why I got one.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Someone reviewed a "Brewie" system here recently which does just as you describe for about 1000pounds, but I wouldn't call it the ultimate. For me brewing is about saving money and the pleasure of doing it myself - both of which you lose with such a system. All the current technology also limits the amount of control you have over various aspects of the brew as well...

Cleaning and sterilising are the chore, something that could incorporate these would help massively.

These grainfather type devices are super efficient which really makes a difference.

Yes the controls engineer. I own up that it's me.

Although I have a braumeister and it is truly the ultimate one pot brewing system.

If you want space saving and automated mash step system allowing you the time to get stuff done and focus on getting your processes right to produce the best beer possible. Then that's the system to save your bucks for.

I love mine. So much so I started a YouTube channel about using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my ultimate brew machine would cost about £5 and you would put everything in one end.
grain hops water yeast everything then ten min later open tap the other end and get a nice cool beer
don't think that would happen
so I stay with my a ace microbrewery for now cost me £325 with postage

browse the forums for the 1 pot brewmachine diy builds, Again it was the aussie homebrewers who led the way with these..

as for control if you want a flexible programable system off the shelf check out smartpid, or if you fancy a bit more hands on with a soldering iron could i suggest a sonoff/wemos-d1 disperate networked build running this firmware https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki

volume measurement of liquids is one of the toughest nuts to crack at the 5-10 gallon brewlength level with reasonable accuracy on a budget. - i went with mass measurement and scales to sit my tun on ;)

Someone reviewed a "Brewie" system here recently which does just as you describe for about 1000pounds, but I wouldn't call it the ultimate. For me brewing is about saving money and the pleasure of doing it myself - both of which you lose with such a system. All the current technology also limits the amount of control you have over various aspects of the brew as well...

I found this post as I'm after a members review of the Brewie rather than a "sales rep" from the firm. Can't seem to find the review you mentioned though. Do you have a link @TheQuokka?

Burn the focus. Them taps you're on about only heat about a pint of water or something stupid at a time...it's not constant....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back