What would you do

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Well as I mentioned in the CMY thread I had my first time experience with a stuck brew, after all these years I finally had one, now the real ale yeast is supposed to be a high attenuating one but iit stuck around 1020.. after some stirs and waiting it looks like it may be closer to 1018 but it just doesn't want to shift lower.. CMY sent me some more yeast which I rehydrated and pitched yesterday but I have a feeling it is going to be wasted 24 hours on and its the same..

I am planning on adding some cooled sugar to it tonight and stir it up to see if that gets things boosted.. the beer seems okay from teh drips I have tasted..

The problem is I brewed this 30th June so its only 12 days in the FV say.. But I go abroad on the 25th.. I dont wish to bottle and come home to explosions.
1) Thoughts are see if this sugar solution does anything.
2) mid week next week rack off into another bucket for when I am away rather than sitting on what could be a dead yeast cake.

Or maybe I could bottle it this weekend say and go a little easy on the priming sugar..

Suggestions welcome, with all the brews I done this is new teritory for me :oops:

Well as I mentioned in the CMY thread I had my first time experience with a stuck brew, after all these years I finally had one, now the real ale yeast is supposed to be a high attenuating one but iit stuck around 1020.. after some stirs and waiting it looks like it may be closer to 1018 but it just doesn't want to shift lower.. CMY sent me some more yeast which I rehydrated and pitched yesterday but I have a feeling it is going to be wasted 24 hours on and its the same..

I am planning on adding some cooled sugar to it tonight and stir it up to see if that gets things boosted.. the beer seems okay from teh drips I have tasted..

The problem is I brewed this 30th June so its only 12 days in the FV say.. But I go abroad on the 25th.. I dont wish to bottle and come home to explosions.
1) Thoughts are see if this sugar solution does anything.
2) mid week next week rack off into another bucket for when I am away rather than sitting on what could be a dead yeast cake.

Or maybe I could bottle it this weekend say and go a little easy on the priming sugar..

Suggestions welcome, with all the brews I done this is new teritory for me :oops:

My guess is that more yeast and added sugar will get things moving in the right direction. Moving an FV around seems to stir things up a bit and get things going, so a gentle swirl might help as well. The yeast has just slowed down, not stopped entirely and even a week is a long time at this stage. 25th is a long way away and bottling in 11 days time looks like the plan to go for.

1018 is far too high to put beer in glass bottles with crown caps. PET bottles with screw top lids can at least be vented easily.

You don't mention how long it has been on 1020 or what it is, you gave it a stir without barely making
any difference. I had a stout which stuck on 1020, should have been 1014 bottled it and it came out fine. As yours has had only 12 days in the fv I would have left it longer, 2 to 3 weeks if it didn't move bottle it.Even in bottles you can lift the crown to check the pressure then reseal.. If you have added more yeast you could end up with yeast bite an area I have never been in.

You don't mention how long it has been on 1020 or what it is, you gave it a stir without barely making
any difference. I had a stout which stuck on 1020, should have been 1014 bottled it and it came out fine. As yours has had only 12 days in the fv I would have left it longer, 2 to 3 weeks if it didn't move bottle it.Even in bottles you can lift the crown to check the pressure then reseal.. If you have added more yeast you could end up with yeast bite an area I have never been in.

Sorry its been at 1020 for as far as I know 5 days, perhaps 6.. giving it its initial stir did get it going but its barely moved since..

I dont normally bottle until 2.5-3 weeks but like I say I am going abroad on the 25th so whilst I have time on my side as of today I am going ot have to decide whether to leave it while I am away..

Not sure about 6 weeks on that yeast cake either so may have to move it.

What was the fg supposed to be? Mucking around now could make it worse, leave on the yeast cake until you get back from holidays.Longest I have had a AIPA on the yeast cake was a couple of months wiyhout any ill effect.

How about chucking a little yeast nutrient in as well? Can't hurt owt.

Have you tried that? I have some nutrient but read somewhere its a bad idea on stuck brews as it can cause microbes or some thing like that.

Possibly nonsense though

Anyone used that enzyme before? how did they find it? will wait until Sunday before I decide whether to go down that route or not..

I wouldn't mind it staying at 1018 and just accepting it is what it is, or whatever it is as long as I knew I could bottle it safely.. some other threads I see they prime gently and bottle anyway after enough time..

What was the fg supposed to be? Mucking around now could make it worse, leave on the yeast cake until you get back from holidays.Longest I have had a AIPA on the yeast cake was a couple of months wiyhout any ill effect.

Around 1012, like I said above my preference is to see whether the yeast and a bit os sugar will get it going, I would rather not be throwing things in if I could help it. I am happy to bottle it at 1020 if it stays like that for long enough..

Anyway ill report back in a few days thanks anyway

I managed to get a stuck kit going again a while back by adding a shot of sugar and that was after trying a number of other solutions, rousing, increasing the temp, repitching, and even repitching again with high alcohol tolerant yeast. IIRC after all that I finally managed to get another 4 degrees off it! I seem to recall bottling it at 1.018 and it was fine, mediocre tasting but not explosive nor overcarbed. Could it be that your recipe had a high percentage of non fermentables?

My JB ipa was the same. After many suggestions I added 200g of boiled sugar/water and increased the temp to around 24...this got it going and it settled at 1014...just think!! It was then kegged but with only 50g of sugar just in case....it turned out fine.

Back