whats hops can i add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpton

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

What Hops can I add to a Lager kit to give a SanMiguel or Tuborg flavour?
I think Hallertau hops might be the answer but not sure which variety or the quantity or how to apply to the brew, was thinking maybe a hop tea?

all replies appreciated :cheers:

Probably not the reply you wanted and you probably wont be far off . But maybe a cardboard tea might be a good idea. Credit to you for experimenting with hops in your kits. I started that way on the slippery slope to going all grain brewing .

I think you're right with the hop tea idea as opposed to boiling the wort that comes in the kit.
Hallertauer, or maybe Saaz hops would probably be appropriate.

Example, 20g of Saaz hops with 3.5% alpha acid boiled in a 3L volume of water for 15mins, when added to a final volume of 23L should up your bitterness by about 5.5IBU and add a bit of aroma. If you want to go for more aroma and less bitterness. Do the same but just steep your hops at about 80degC for 15-20mins before adding to final volume.

This comes from using a brewing calculator spreadsheet rather than personal experience as I do all grain, but should be a reasonable place to start enhancing your kit.

Feel free to jump in anyone with 'hop tea' experience. :oops:

You see Mickyfinn the next reply was more constructive!

Cardboard indeed!! :nono:

lmao!

Each to their own I guess but I drink all beers from Lagers to Stouts..variety is the spice of life!

:cheers:

thank PJbiker for the kind of reply i did hope for :)

:drunk: hic

Can I just ask what "Steeping" is please?

I am interested and appreciate any response :wha:

Hi Plumton

'Steeping' means to soak the hops in the hot water at 80deg as mentioned for approx 15mins

Let the liquor cool to roughly the same temperature as the wort before adding.

Really appreciate the response thanks

I is edumacated now! lol :D

:rofl:

Ages since I drank San Miguel and not sure I've ever had Tuborg.

Broadly, hallertauer will give you german lager type tastes and saaz will give you a czech lager kind of taste. I like saaz more but YMMV and all that. Hope that helps

Excellent response thanks, so do I steep or Hop Tea the hops into my kit?

erm, no idea, I think you could do either. The only time I ever tried anything like that I dry hopped an ale in the barrel using a muslin bag. I tend to do an 80*C steep in the middle of chilling now, but that won't help you for kits. I guess hop tea (water at 80*C not boiling) would be more like my current approach but I have no experience of doing that.

Thanks a lot all the same

I am going to try and will let you know an honest result.

If it is **** I wont hide it...this forum is all about shared experience and i have learnt so much from good and bad experiences of others.

this may be of some help .... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2548

also found this via google :

A dave L recipe for san miguel clone :

EDME lager kit 1840

Golden Syrup 1000

Hallertauer hops 15 Alcohol % 5.5

Simmer hops for 10min then strain onto other ingredients etc. ..... this is the same as the recipe linked above but i believe the EDME kit is the one named in his book :thumb:

plumpton said:
Can I just ask what "Steeping" is please?

Hi there...

steeping is the procedure to remove all the essential product from the mixture and leave the residue behind....

Regards John :thumb:

Latest posts

Back