What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your view on Plastic Pressure Barrels (PBs)?

• I have one or more and like them and will continue to use them

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • I had one or more but gave up on them due to leaks etc

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I dont want one since I keep my beer in something else

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I am thinking of buying one or more

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have only just bought mine so too early to say

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought a PB back in the 80's and a C02 bottle (can't remember who made what) and my beer was always flat!! not good for a lager, I doubt if it was the PB's fault, I really didn't have a scooby about brewing back then (I had just moved into my first house at the age of 21) I then switched to bottles and made awful beer and stopped a year or so after, I started brewing again about 10yrs ago and have moved on to corny kegs with kegerator and loving it.
Kegerator full.jpg

Great idea for a thread Terry.

I started with a 10 litre PB. I didn’t want to brew full batches as I’m the only one drinking it. I used the PB for my first few batches and then started bottling. The PB was ok but there’s definitely a skill to using them correctly and I seemed to make a lot of mistakes, too much priming sugar, too little, keeping it too warm, too cold.

I also never got the serving temperature right. I only have one brewing fridge and don’t really want to tie it up. Where I lived when I started brewing I had a little lean to that was really cold in winter so would’ve been good, but now my shed is at the far end of the garden and I wouldn’t want to trek there for beer in winter!

Having given all the negative aspects, I still think there’s a place for PBs especially in the beginner’s arsenal. Bottling day itself is my least favourite part of brewing by an absolute mile, and obviously a PB avoids that. I would urge a beginner, especially if you’re making bitters and stouts that benefit from a cask style carbonation level, to get one, read Terry’s “how to” thread, and do it to begin with. If you can dedicate a fridge to keeping a PB at a cask type temperature of 10-12C as well, so much the better.

Last edited:
I wonder if home brewers have too high expectations of plastic pressure barrels? They are, after all....... plastic! Not a material normally associated with something that is reused over a long period of time or something that is particularly durable. My other hobby is model railways and over the years I have made many plastic models from kits. All the parts needed careful preparation in order to achieve a believable model. I view PBs a bit like that. Treet them like a plastic kit that requires a bit of time and effort to get the best out of them. Some of the parts might even need to be discarded and replaced with a bespoke part of your own making.

my penny's worth is not only do they leak, but you cant maintain good carbination either so after tiring of bottling i looked at lots of options like min kegs etc but the best brewing decision i ever made was going straight to corny kegs. Trust me you will never look back. i doubt you will find a single person on this forum who has done so and regrets it.

have several PBs king keg and the 2 inch wilko type, prefer king keg. have had silly probs, but all part of the learning cycle.

my penny's worth is not only do they leak, but you cant maintain good carbination either so after tiring of bottling i looked at lots of options like min kegs etc but the best brewing decision i ever made was going straight to corny kegs. Trust me you will never look back. i doubt you will find a single person on this forum who has done so and regrets it.
I think for some it's to do with the level of investment. How much do you spend on, say a King Keg (if you're a beginner) and how much on a single corny keg?

I wonder if home brewers have too high expectations of plastic pressure barrels? They are, after all....... plastic! Not a material normally associated with something that is reused over a long period of time or something that is particularly durable. My other hobby is model railways and over the years I have made many plastic models from kits. All the parts needed careful preparation in order to achieve a believable model. I view PBs a bit like that. Treet them like a plastic kit that requires a bit of time and effort to get the best out of them. Some of the parts might even need to be discarded and replaced with a bespoke part of your own making.
When the average homebrewer (and that means many folks who aren't on this forum let alone heard of it) buys a PB I would say the last thing on their mind is that it needs fettling before it is put into service, and will then need regular attention to make sure it stays pressure tight. And additionally although it is plastic, they would expect it to give about 5 years of service or more before it became unusable. Homebrew shops and suppliers probably don't explain to prospective customers that when they take their new PB home they need to check all the gaskets, flat off the primary seal on the body to cap joint, and pressure test before they even think of putting beer into it. But all they want to do is to sell you a PB. I suggest that they should really be ready to go, just like other stuff you buy, plastic or otherwise. And that is only the start of the care and attention required. So it may well be made of plastic, but if it really ain't fit for purpose in the first place or it turns out to be unnecessarily high maintenance it shouldn't really be on sale.

I think for some it's to do with the level of investment. How much do you spend on, say a King Keg (if you're a beginner) and how much on a single corny keg?

For me second hand keg £42, my gas regulator £18, gas £19, connects were £3.20 a pair, tap was 89p. So lets say £85.

Just had a look at a King Keg £59. Ok - people will be using those 8g bulbs, £4.50 for ten. By the time you've bought 8 boxes of those you've covered the cost of the regulator and co2 bottle. With 89% of the gas bottle left you've broken even.

Second hand value of a corny - probably as much or more than you paid. For a pressure barrel? £3 at a car boot sale.

Value of beer ruined by a plastic pressure barrel - pfffffft, what do you reckon? 5 or 6 kits before you grow sick of the whole thing and throw everything down the shed for the spiders to play with.

As Terry said, when you buy somthing it should work.

I do not want a relationship with a pressure barrel which is like going out with someone psychologically damaged. Swipe left, wait for a someone slim with black hair and boots wearing a nice shiny jacket to come along rather than a pot-bellied nightmare who's silently farting all the time.

When the average homebrewer (and that means many folks who aren't on this forum let alone heard of it) buys a PB I would say the last thing on their mind is that it needs fettling before it is put into service, and will then need regular attention to make sure it stays pressure tight. And additionally although it is plastic, they would expect it to give about 5 years of service or more before it became unusable. Homebrew shops and suppliers probably don't explain to prospective customers that when they take their new PB home they need to check all the gaskets, flat off the primary seal on the body to cap joint, and pressure test before they even think of putting beer into it. But all they want to do is to sell you a PB. I suggest that they should really be ready to go, just like other stuff you buy, plastic or otherwise. And that is only the start of the care and attention required. So it may well be made of plastic, but if it really ain't fit for purpose in the first place or it turns out to be unnecessarily high maintenance it shouldn't really be on sale.
Sorry @terrym , thought this thread was "what are your thoughts on plastic pressure barrels". I understand you've been scarred by your experience of PBs, as have perhaps others, but we're all entitled to our views. You gave up after four failures. I've taken a different approach, used my ingenuity and now have 3 functioning plastic pressure barrels and, if asked, am happy to help other King Keg owners resolve any problems they might have rather than rubbish the whole genre. Nice talking :hat:

For me second hand keg £42, my gas regulator £18, gas £19, connects were £3.20 a pair, tap was 89p. So lets say £85.

Just had a look at a King Keg £59. Ok - people will be using those 8g bulbs, £4.50 for ten. By the time you've bought 8 boxes of those you've covered the cost of the regulator and co2 bottle. With 89% of the gas bottle left you've broken even.

Second hand value of a corny - probably as much or more than you paid. For a pressure barrel? £3 at a car boot sale.

Value of beer ruined by a plastic pressure barrel - pfffffft, what do you reckon? 5 or 6 kits before you grow sick of the whole thing and throw everything down the shed for the spiders to play with.

As Terry said, when you buy somthing it should work.

I do not want a relationship with a pressure barrel which is like going out with someone psychologically damaged. Swipe left, wait for a someone slim with black hair and boots wearing a nice shiny jacket to come along rather than a pot-bellied nightmare who's silently farting all the time.
Perhaps do a like for like comparison and talk in terms of all brand new or all second-hand. Have another go :laugh8:

Just add fifty quid on - same as the first two Wherry kits that get ruined.
Sorry, I got that wrong. I was looking at the price of a corney keg complete with tap, connectors, tubing and primary regulator, came to £130. First off purchase of gas (6.35kg) including deposit for cylinder at £93 (Adams gas including vat and delivery). I make that £223. Compared with a King Keg at £50 and a S30 Brewgas cylinder (that my local home brew shop advised me to buy) was £27. I make that £77. Bit of a difference if you're a newbe.

Love it :laugh8:

Sorry @terrym , thought this thread was "". I understand you've been scarred by your experience of PBs, as have perhaps others, but we're all entitled to our views. You gave up after four failures. I've taken a different approach, used my ingenuity and now have 3 functioning plastic pressure barrels and, if asked, am happy to help other King Keg owners resolve any problems they might have rather than rubbish the whole genre. Nice talking :hat:
You are correct this thread is about 'what are your thoughts on plastic pressure barrels?
And so, as part of that, I was commenting on your 'I wonder if home brewers have too high expectations of plastic pressure barrels?'.
As to your ingenuity making a seemingly flawed design better that is admirable, although perhaps you have the time, practical experience and facilities available to do that, unlike most.
However, as you have noted, I have had four PBs I have given up on. Not because I wanted to, but because they were irreparable due to premature splits in the shell or pinhole leaks.
And finally I agree we are all entitled to our views. You appear to believe that King Kegs are fine, and are willing to invest time and effort into making them work. And I can't be bothered with PBs any more, and as far as I am concerned with good reason.

Tried them a lot this year as filled all bottles. I filled 4 and not one worked at the first go. Currently have one 5gal full and pressurised at the second attempt. One 2gal full and pressurised at the third attempt after changing a split PB. One 2gal full and who knows if it's holding or not until I try it in a few weeks - it does contain a gasket that "fell off" the cap. I have retired one and thrown away the split one. The beer is better but it takes too much disappointment to get there. Just ordered 2 10l ss kegs from Amazon - be surprised to see them as they were super cheap...

Conclusion: I hate PBs but you get a nicer pint from them if you persevere...

You are correct this thread is about 'what are your thoughts on plastic pressure barrels?
And so, as part of that, I was commenting on your 'I wonder if home brewers have too high expectations of plastic pressure barrels?'.
As to your ingenuity making a seemingly flawed design better that is admirable, although perhaps you have the time, practical experience and facilities available to do that, unlike most.
However, as you have noted, I have had four PBs I have given up on. Not because I wanted to, but because they were irreparable due to premature splits in the shell or pinhole leaks.
And finally I agree we are all entitled to our views. You appear to believe that King Kegs are fine, and are willing to invest time and effort into making them work. And I can't be bothered with PBs any more, and as far as I am concerned with good reason.
Cheers @terrym , glad to hear we agree on some things maybe not on others, but that's not a bad thing. Always amuses me the irony of the author of this forum's goto regarding PBs is written by someone who hates the things! :laugh8:

Tried them a lot this year as filled all bottles. I filled 4 and not one worked at the first go. Currently have one 5gal full and pressurised at the second attempt. One 2gal full and pressurised at the third attempt after changing a split PB. One 2gal full and who knows if it's holding or not until I try it in a few weeks - it does contain a gasket that "fell off" the cap. I have retired one and thrown away the split one. The beer is better but it takes too much disappointment to get there. Just ordered 2 10l ss kegs from Amazon - be surprised to see them as they were super cheap...

Conclusion: I hate PBs but you get a nicer pint from them if you persevere...
Out of interest, who was the manufacturer of your barrels?

Out of interest, who was the manufacturer of your barrels?

Retired 5gal (now bottling bucket) is Hambleton Bard. The 5gal in pic below is KingKeg - both were second hand.

15933739345058357580611169682012.jpg

I don't know the manufacturer of the little ones (again in pic) but they are bog standard and came with my first kit.

Latest posts

Back