Wherry kit just put on wish me well.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got a wherry kit.
Done a brewbuddy cider, maturing.
2 TC done.
Vmto wine done.

Now the wherry. Hope it goes well.
Says 4 days what is peoples normal experience?

abeyptfc said:
the kit instructions are always optimistic, give it 2 weeks in the bucket

And about 8 weeks in the bottle :D .

Not a bad drink but can be a bit hit and miss with sticking and clearing............but dont let that put you off :rofl:

thats what i thought

first kit i did the other week said 7 days i bottled at 11 or 12

why do they say the impossible

Im drinking my Wherry right now and its wherry nice :lol: Its my first attempt at this kit. I used safale S-04 instead of the kit yeast and bottled it after 2 weeks. Then I tried a bottle after 3 weeks in the cool and it tastes great. The room temp was 24C approx where it fermented. Ive heard the wherry can get stuck sometimes so best of luck with yours !!

Keep some spare yeast at hand as there is a good chance you will need it as wherry often gets stuck. Have to say once in the bottle for about 4 weeks this is a very nice beer. :cheers:

Down to my last 2 bottles of wherry, very nice drink. it stuck at 1.020 as so many have. Took ages to clear but well worth the effort.

One trick that some have had success with with Wherry kits (or Muntons kits in general) is a good spoonful of yeast nutrient before the yeast goes in reduces the likelihood of the kit sticking.

right update

the lid pressure ( if you know what i mean) has gone
so i tested it just now

SG 1040
CG 1012/1010 ish frothy head so few bubbles but you get the idea

what kind of figures should it be?
how do i know if its "stuck"

i presume i just leave it where it is for a few days more then rack off?

thanks chaps
this might be my first brew in my new cornies when they arrive and my fridge i collect this morning ;)

well excited now

Sounds like it is doing fine to me. If it was going to stick it would have done it at around 1.020. Off the top of my head I think your looking for around 1.008. Just leave it in the FV for 10-14 days then bottle or keg it and all should be well.

I split my Wherry into four plastic 5l water bottles with airlocks. I dry-hopped three of them. I want to leave them another week or two in the bottle before passing them around but I've sampled a couple of bottles and the one with Cascade hops tastes especially nice...

Hi. This is my first post. Just got a wherry kit and it's in a bucket in the garage. It's a bit cold, and I'm worried about it 'sticking' which I guess means that the yeast goes on strike.

1 Do these numbers (1020 etc) refer to hydrometer readings?
2 Is it okay to open the fermenting drum to fill the test jar?
3 What is 'dry hopping'? Is it worthwhile me having a go at it on my first go?
4 If I keg my beer can I then stick it in bottles from the keg? And do I need more spraymalt in the bottles if I do?
5 I started my kit on Monday. Do you think it'll be ready for the Royal Wedding? It seems optimistic having read the thread.

Any answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks to all previous contributors. Really interesting stuff.

Phew that is it kegged my first i lost my cherry tonight :lol:

settled at FG 1012 SG 1040 so around 4%'ish

pushed in some CO2 sat in the house, ill push some more in tomorrow
then leave in the house for a few more days then out to the garage i think

does this all sound right people

Titch

ByronBunch said:
Hi. This is my first post. Just got a wherry kit and it's in a bucket in the garage. It's a bit cold, and I'm worried about it 'sticking' which I guess means that the yeast goes on strike.

1 Do these numbers (1020 etc) refer to hydrometer readings?
2 Is it okay to open the fermenting drum to fill the test jar?
3 What is 'dry hopping'? Is it worthwhile me having a go at it on my first go?
4 If I keg my beer can I then stick it in bottles from the keg? And do I need more spraymalt in the bottles if I do?
5 I started my kit on Monday. Do you think it'll be ready for the Royal Wedding? It seems optimistic having read the thread.

Any answers to any of these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks to all previous contributors. Really interesting stuff.

hi mate will try and answer as best as i can, beendoing kits since last july
1. yes these readings are hydrometer readings
2. try not to open too much, if u need to test the gravity then sanitise hydrometer and put in fv, when doing so, place fv lid upside down so it isnt touching anything which could contaminate.
3. dry hopping means adding hops in a muslin bag during fermentation i would wait until you get a good few kits before u start experimebting to be honest, ive done around 15 kits and only just startes using hops with kits!
4. it depends what keg u mean, usually with king keg u top up with gas to pour otherwise with a cornie u have a gas bottle and regulator pub style!
5. 2 weeks aint alot of time yo condition if bottling, however leave in warm for a week then cold for a week, obviously give it a try when u want , if u like it then drink it. hope u have a gd bank hol wknd , im off this fri and mon and the same nxt week, just sittin chillin, u cant beat it!

With the Wherry I find you really need to get it aerated at the kick off and it doesn't tend to stick around the 1020 mark

Back