Why would you choose not to shop @ Kegthat [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why go elsewhere?

• Not enough products - please specify in comments

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Not local

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Delivery price

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Delivery speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Customer service

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Never shopped with us

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I shop with you already :)

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
Hi Ben, I have browsed the site a couple of times but haven't bought anything. I tend to do large shops every few months so the £50 free shipping sounds great but I much prefer malt uncrushed. Crushing my own grain makes a noticeable difference to the finished beer. Other reasons I might shop elsewhere are sites have deals on, e.g. BrewUK has that yeast lucky dip and other shops do have a bit more choice.

It's interesting to see what people are saying here about wanting more descriptions for the products, plus you were saying you're paying a lot for SEO. I worked in SEO for 7-8 years or so and was really surprised to see no shops writing original content for their products or taking advantage of being the shop with knowledge on certain products. Most HBS websites seem to copy/paste the product description from the manufacturer. This counts as duplicate content and won't get many rankings, and as all other HBS have the same content it becomes a link war which is expensive.

My opinion (and I haven't done SEO since 2018! so take with a pinch of salt) was that if HBS websites could write their blurb for the products it would be really useful original content for the customer and search engine. This can actually be developed into a really interesting digital marketing strategy, but would take some time to type out here :laugh8:

Anyway, with SMBs I understand saying "write some original content for all your products" is a lot easier said than done. I also feel this post is going a bit off topic now, but wish you the best of luck! As soon as you sell a good selection of uncrushed grains I'd happily give Keg That a go.

I mainly buy all grain kits so Malt Miller & Dark Rock are my go to stores.

This thread has made me look more at your website and my first observation is that it is very slow to load - certainly compared to others in this industry

Last edited:
Hi Ben, I’ve bought equipment from you a few times now and the service has been faultless. I buy base grain and hops ‘trade’ so there are price advantages that I wouldn’t expect you to match. I like that you’re a new business, family run, full of new ideas, and shaking things up a bit! Also that you’re local. For those reasons I’ll keep visiting your site. Best of luck growing your business.

Hi Ben ,I have bought from your site a few times now ,but as others have said some detail of your products could help sales ,as a example ,when i was last ordering for my next few brews ,i was filling my basket on your site and then i needed some dried bitter orange peel ,you had orange peel but it did not state whether it was bitter or sweet peel ,and because of that i emptied my basket and ordered elsewhere as i did not want to make multiple purchases across sites .

Malts to limited range and crisps malts are OK but I prefer to spend a bit more for Fawcetts/Warminster/Simpsons also I want uncrushed. I prefer leaf hops to pellets. As others have said the name makes me think you are a keg supplier.

Used you before.

What I look for is freshness of ingredients and will pay more for that and don't mind paying postage as I know it's a major cost for sellers.

I don't want hops that have been sat around a here, I like suppliers that post/boast about they cold chain storage supply etc, and those who turn around stock quickly

To be completely honest I never even knew you existed - I have an online supplier I use regularly and a local one for small occasional extra purchases.

I will have a look though.

Hey guys, trying to improve and expand and would love some feedback on why you would go elsewhere :)

Please respond to the poll if you have some spare time and comment below any extra info and I will take immediate action!
Just tried navigating your website, seems quite slow to navigate (pages loading slowly) I don’t know whether it is a web server or wide area network issue but I would get bored and move on.
More generally, you are trying to cover a wide product range but do so less comprehensively than the more established players. You may want to consider seeking to build your expertise and product offering in a particular segment so you are the “go to” supplier for that segment then build out from there. My question to you would be why would I try KegThat?

Sorry mate, your shipping is far too expensive for me. I don't qualify for the over £50 spend free shipping, and since I tend to order heavy stuff (grains, chemicals, etc), it's too expensive to spend £30-50 on shipping when I can get flat shipping rates of £10-15 from other sites. (You're not alone, there are other sites that people love on this forum which also charge too much in shipping, so I don't shop there)

Sorry mate, your shipping is far too expensive for me. I don't qualify for the over £50 spend free shipping, and since I tend to order heavy stuff (grains, chemicals, etc), it's too expensive to spend £30-50 on shipping when I can get flat shipping rates of £10-15 from other sites. (You're not alone, there are other sites that people love on this forum which also charge too much in shipping, so I don't shop there)
Where are you? My shipping cost is £8.50 when I selected 25kg sack. For next day that isn't bad at all.

Agree site is slow today and when looking at the malt section it's confusing, why do you need to toggle to see the full25kg sacks. People may miss it and thing you enter 25000g in the box and see it's too expensive and leave.

Where are you? My shipping cost is £8.50 when I selected 25kg sack. For next day that isn't bad at all.

Agree site is slow today and when looking at the malt section it's confusing, why do you need to toggle to see the full25kg sacks. People may miss it and thing you enter 25000g in the box and see it's too expensive and leave.

Scottish Highlands. Always pay way more for shipping, with (shipping) companies doing a delivery surcharge. Can’t use many recommended sites on here, as it’s too expensive to pay £30+ in shipping.

Just had a browse on the web site. Very slow to the point where it looks like it’s either unresponsive or the links are broken.
My go- to for recipe kits are Worcester Hop Shop ( not the greatest web site but navigable and good VFM including delivery) and Get er Brewed.
Equipment - GEB are cheapest for Fermzilla All Rounder etc and were massively cheaper than anyone else for Kegland Kegerators - with pallet delivery included in the price.

I realise competition is fierce these days and I don’t have a LHBS which opens normal hours (4 hours on a Saturday only) so rely on web based suppliers.

Scottish Highlands. Always pay way more for shipping, with (shipping) companies doing a delivery surcharge. Can’t use many recommended sites on here, as it’s too expensive to pay £30+ in shipping.
You're not on your own and it's the reason I shop local as some shipping rates to NI are just too much and this isn't just HB stores related.

Hi Ben first off this is not a complaint, i recently bought a reconditioned 19L corny from you and i got what i paid for a working keg i have used twice with no problems it does have a small weld right at the top and is above the liquid level, my other 2 kegs i bought from a company who grade their kegs into inferior, standard, and superior all at different price levels any chance you can do this, and yes i will be using you again soon
Hi there really sorry about this :( I will sort this out ASAP!! I will send a direct message :)

Hi Ben, there is nothing wrong with the keg in fact it's in the fridge at the moment filled with good bitter, i nearly called in yesterday we were at Chester zoo with our grand daughter but we did not get time

Hi Ben here is a picture of said keg
C0CCBE00-E712-475E-87EB-0EE989443C81.jpeg

Used you before.

What I look for is freshness of ingredients and will pay more for that and don't mind paying postage as I know it's a major cost for sellers.

I don't want hops that have been sat around a here, I like suppliers that post/boast about they cold chain storage supply etc, and those who turn around stock quickly
A couple have mentioned this, I have since made this change to my website and also am in process of adding it on the hops page :) Cheers
1629881605530.png

Latest posts

Back