Windows 11 is Coming.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14th October 2025 will be the end of Microsoft support for Windows 10 as they prepare to announce a new version on 24th June. The BBC doesn't say which year the announcement is to be made but if what @Chippy_Tea posted is gen then I'd imaging it'll be this month 😱

Cheers Tom

Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month.
When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.
But from 14 October 2025, there will be no new updates or security fixes for either the Home or Pro versions.
And Microsoft says its successor will represent one of the "most significant updates" to the OS in the past decade.

Everything is so connected these days you don’t even know half the information that is gathered and where it flows.

Here’s one example many people are still unaware of. If you have a iPhone look in settings, privacy, location services, system services, significant locations. Unless you’ve turned this off you’ll then see everywhere you go, how often, and when. Just underneath significant locations you’ll see some product improvement items and undoubtedly the iPhone analytics is switched on - this is your consent for apple to harvest all this data.

If you have other platforms don’t gloat, they all do the same.
I think when it comes to Apple the best description would be “we‘re not quite as bad as the other guys with your data” which given some of the actions of Facebook and Google isn’t really saying much.

I think when it comes to Apple the best description would be “we‘re not quite as bad as the other guys with your data” which given some of the actions of Facebook and Google isn’t really saying much.
Everyone is collecting data for analytics, marketing, security. Most of us are unaware of most of it most of the time. All the big boys are working on sophisticated artificial intelligence (as well as pretty much every government security service) and some of that stuff is really impressive - good and bad.

Everyone is collecting data for analytics, marketing, security.

I have often wondered about VPN's are they really private would something you can easily find by using a search engine (see below) be allowed to exist by the security services, government etc if they kept you totally invisible, i am pretty sure the answer is no but i admit i am no expert on how they work.

https://uk.pcmag.com/vpn/138/the-best-vpn-services

I have often wondered about VPN's are they really private would something you can easily find by using a search engine (see below) be allowed to exist by the security services, government etc if they kept you totally invisible, i am pretty sure the answer is no but i admit i am no expert on how they work.

https://uk.pcmag.com/vpn/138/the-best-vpn-services
The better ones would give you a good measure of protection but I couldn’t recommend any because I don’t use them. For most people the usual secure connection (padlock symbol on your browser) is good enough to assure your connection.

I remember years ago must be at least 20 i set my sons computer up hard wired into the modem on virgin could i get it to connect no way, in the end i rang virgin or telewest as it was then gave him all my details i could hear him on his keyboard after a few miniutes he said i don't know what you are running but turn it off i can't find you so i did and hey presto connection, i can't for the life of me remember what it was called

A lot of isps have various consumer grade 'connection guards' that don't like vpns.
Where I work, our corporate vpn doesn't work with sky's 'Shield' and you have to call up and ask them to disable it on the line, and then disable it on your sky admin page.

I always use a vpn, on my personal computer and on my mobile. Chose wisely and look at the small print before you go with one. Some do store / share anonymised data, others share absolutely nothing and delete your ip address and connection date/time the moment you disconnect. Add in using Tor for anything that might contain financial info like PayPal or banking, and you can be assured that ad tracking and data collection by your favourite flavour of global monopoly operating systems and broadband provider is minimal.

My one complaint about using my vpn, is its fastest server to me is either the Netherlands or Germany. Means when I'm listening to music on YouTube I get the adverts in foreign, plus the Web banner adverts on sites like this can be truly bizarre. But the positive - besides security - is I can connect to a US server and watch stuff only available on Netflix US

Last edited:
To be honest I don't do anything online that I ever thought I need to hide by using a VPN

A lot of isps have various consumer grade 'connection guards' that don't like vpns.
Where I work, our corporate vpn doesn't work with sky's 'Shield' and you have to call up and ask them to disable it on the line, and then disable it on your sky admin page.

Yes a lot of ISPs have their own dynamic DNS which can interfere with using corp vpns like anyconnect cisco ect the connection may be fine but you will fine access to servers file access doesnt work because your dns is bypassed and your computer will not be able to resolve any server in your business to its ip address. It has been a headache from time to time.,

(NetBEUI)
That takes me back! Last year, I was getting some contractors to lift the floor in a data centre to install a new 10Gig fibre backbone. We found the original thicknet cables (look it up!) that the VAX originally used before it was upgraded to ethernet. I retired that VAX in 99 as the WMS it ran did funny things if you rolled it over past 00. I get a bit ****** off when people tell me the millennium bug was a hoax. I assure you it wasn't in all cases, although this was down to poor coding of the WMS software rather than an underlying OS level - VAX VMS rolled over fine and is still in use, I believe, in the banking sector). Anyway, as they were lifting the thicknet cable and looking at it funny I suddenly felt very, very old.

That takes me back! Last year, I was getting some contractors to lift the floor in a data centre to install a new 10Gig ... VAX VMS rolled over fine and is still in use, I believe, in the banking sector). Anyway, as they were lifting the thicknet cable and looking at it funny I suddenly felt very, very old.
Got into systems engineering with PDP & VAX/VMS when as PCs were just getting harddrives. Survived 2000, but had life get sucked into MS/Exchange before its worldwide roll out. I mourned the power-down of my Alpha cluster. Before entering the ministry I worked for a small Siemens Co that was all Sun/Solarus & IBM/MS servers. They were *never* as stable as the DEC platforms.
Sorry. Memories of cable/wire/tokens /fiber/etc under the same decking flashed by at your mention of thicknet & i went down memory-lane.

Windows 11: Watch Microsoft's entire reveal event in 10 minutes (supercut)

My PC isnt that old and it failed so it looks like i will carry on using windows 10.

1624802141452.png

In 4 years time i may have changed the PC i am using now.

is ending its support for Windows 10 in 2025, indicating that the company is moving towards a new operating system.

A new support document says that Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro was launched on 29 July 2015, and will retire on 14 October 2025. It appears to be the first time the company has described ending support for the operating system.

Microsoft has been preparing to launch the next version of its Windows operating soon, likely to be called Windows 11. CEO Satya Nadella said that the “most significant updates of Windows of the past decade” will be coming at the company’s Build 2021 conference.

You will need to check your compatability for W11 as well - specifically CPU generation restrictions - older than gen 8 and they say it is not supported.

My PC is too old but my laptop is ok for instance.

Also, the biggest confusion and reason that the compatibility checker will be saying not compatible is coming from the fact TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a requirement. If you google it, it will tell you that it is a hardware module, but that's not entirely true. Any AMD and most Intel chips from the last few years will have a version of it in the CPU firmware, but it is likely to be turned off in the BIOS.

There will be loads of people who think their machines need replacing, but can actually just go into their BIOS, turn on TPM and they're good to go. For info it will be in the security section in the BIOS. It's not exactly the most obvious thing to find and do though.

This is what i used to check mine -

https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp
From here -

Upgrade to the New Windows 11 OS | Microsoft

Minimum system requirements
Processor1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory4 GB RAM
Storage64 GB or larger storage device
System firmwareUEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPMTrusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics cardDirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display>9” with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connectionMicrosoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home
Certain features require specific hardware, see detailed system requirements.
Shop for a Windows 11 compatible PC at these reta

Latest posts

Back